Grishaverse- 'A King Again'

Zoya

Zoya spared a glance at her gloves. They were caked with mud and dirt and the occasional thorn was trying to make its way into her hand. She pulled them out.

Matthias Helvar.

That's who she was planting for. Nina's strange love, Matthias Helvar. Zoya had planted for every soldier that had fallen, but not him. But that was before Fjerda was her ally. No, with Nina, or Mila Janderstat, on the throne, Fjerda was now their companion.

So she had chosen snow drops for him. Pale petals, usually over looked; except for those that looked hard enough.

Tolya knocked at the tomb door. She spun around. "Yes?"

"Moya tsarita, Nikolai Lanstov is requesting entrance," he answered.

She grinned. "Let him in."

And there he was. His golden hair was neatly combed back, and even in the dim light of her garden, he looked handsome.

He fell into a bow. "Moya tsarita."

She ripped off her gloves and threw them on the floor. "Stop that."

He took her hand and placed a kiss against her knuckles. "Stop what?"

"Calling me Queen, bowing," she snapped.

"You are a Queen. Would you instead prefer Sankta?" he responded.

She scowled and ignored his question. "As if Genya doesn't tell me every day."

He lifted his eyebrows. "Speaking of Genya, she is worried that you are not searching for a suitor."

Her scowl deepened, so she turned to her small table and began to clear away small stem clippings. "I will continue to ignore that task. Some Kerch merchant is worried that we aren't paying him enough for jurda, but the Zemmeni aren't giving us as much as they think they are. And some of the Fjerdan court are getting worried about how Nina is ruling the country. I think there's a rumour about her assassination, but 'Prince Rasmus' won't let anything touch her. And Saints, Nikolai, say something!"

He remained silent.

She span around.

He was on one knee.

He was holding out a ring.

A massive gold ring, complete with a large emerald.

The Lanstov Emerald.

Zoya sputtered. "Nikolai- what- why- what are you doing?"

"Asking you a very important question," he replied, his voice shaking.

"I-I thought you gave it to Alina," she whispered.

He grimaced. "She sent it back to me yesterday, so I knew it would be time to ask you this."

Nikolai shifted slightly and took her hand.

Whilst placing the ring on her finger, he said, "My ruthless Zoya, my Dragon Queen, will you-"

She didn't give him time to finish. She wrapped her arms around his neck and shouted, "Yes!" before forgetting all about everything and kissing him.