004: Which Side

"Secretary Ross has a congressional medal of honour, which is one more then you have

"Secretary Ross has a congressional medal of honour, which is one more then you have." Rhodey says.
"So say we agree to this thing. How long until they lojack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asks.
"117 countries want to sign this." Rhodey reminds him. "117, Sam. And you just like 'We we're cool. We got it.'"
"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam questions.
"I have an equation." Vision speaks up.
"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam says, sarcastically.
"In the eight years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man the number of known enhanced persons has grown expenetially. And during the same period the number of potentially world ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Vison explains.
"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asks.
"I'm saying there may be a causality." Vision replies. "Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight... Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."
"Boom." Rhodey says.
"Dad. You are being uncharatiscally non-hyperverbal." Aria says, causing Tony to look at his daughter.
"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve says.
"Boy, you know me so well." Tony jokes, before standing up and going to the kitchen. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" Tony then shows a young boy on a screen as he pours himself a drink. "Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor level gig at intel planned for the fall. But first he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to paris or amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass."
"Dad." Aria says, as Tony takes a sip of his drink.
"There's no decision making process here. We need to be put in check. And whatever form that takes, I'm game." Tony says. "If we can't expect limitation, if we're boundryless, we're no better than the bad guys."
"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Steve says.
"Who said we're giving up?" Tony asks.
"We are if we're not taking responsibilty for our actions. This document just shifts the blame." Steve says.
"I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant." Rhodey says. "This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the world security council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D, it's not HYDRA."
"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas chance." Steve points out.
"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down, stoped manufactoring." Tony says, walking back over to the group.
"Tony, you chose to do that." Steve says. "If we sign this we surrender our right to choose. What if the panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."
"If we don't do this now, it's going to be done to us later." Tony says. "That's the fact. It won't be pretty."
"You're saying they'll come for me." Wanda says.
"We would protect you." Vision tells her.
"Maybe Tony's right." Natasha says. "If we have one hand on the wheel we can still steer. If we take it off..."
"Aren't you the same women who told the goverment to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asks.
"I'm just reading the terrain." Natasha replies. "We havemade some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."
"Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" Tony asks.
"I want to take it back now." Natasha says.
"No, no. You can't retract it. Thank you." Tony says, as Steve's phone goes off. "Okay, case close. I win."
"I have to go." Steve says.

After Steve had left, Aria followed shortly after. When the teenager get to the stairwell, she sees Steve leaning against the railing with his head in his hands.
"Steve?" Aria questions gently, causing Steve to look up at her.
"Hey, Ari." Steve replies with a sad smile.
"Are you okay?" Aria asks, slowly walking down the steps to him.
"Yeah, yeah. I'm okay." Steve replies.
"You sure? You don't seem okay." Aria asks.
"She's gone." Steve says. "Peggy's gone."
"Oh, Steve." Aria says, hugging the person who had become like her uncle. "I'm so sorry."
"Thank you." Steve says, hugging the teenager back.
"Why don't we go for a walk and clear our heads? I think we could both use it." Aria suggests.
"I like the sound of that." Steve says.
Aria smiles before walking down the steps, Steve following closely behind.

~~~~~

After Aria and Steve got back to the tower, Aria headed to her room. To keep her mind off everything that was going on, she was reorganising her selves. As she was on the last one, her dad walked in.
"Hi, sweetie." Tony says.
"Hi, dad." Aria replies.
"Just wanted to come and check on you. I know how upsetting this all is." Tony tells her.
"I'm doing okay." Aria says, before sighing. "Dad, me and Wanda are the same. What if what's happening to her happens to me?"
"It won't." Tony reassures his daughter, walking over and placing his hands on her shoulders. "I won't let it."
"Thanks, dad." Aria says.
"Ariella Marie Stark, you are my daughter. I will protect you with everything I have got." Tony says, causing Aria to smile and hug him.
"I don't know what to do, dad." Aria admits. "I don't know if I want to sign the accords. I don't want to disappoint you."
"Do I have to repeat myself?" Tony asks.
"What?" Aria asks, pulling away confused.
"You are my daughter. I love you no matter what side you choose." Tony tells her.
Aria nods understandingly. Tony kisses her forehead before leaving the room. Aria looks down for a moment before turning back to the self and picking something up off it.
Aria had no idea what she was going to do. She knew what was coming. Last time she sided with her father, but half of her family ended up either getting arrested or being forced to go on the run. And Aria had no idea what she was going to do this time.