Chapter 269

"Mu Fei."

Mu Fei, who was preparing dinner, turned around to see Devil Pine standing at the door of the treehouse, holding a letter.

Mu Fei's eyes lit up. "Hey, what's up? Whose letter is it?"

"Asking knowingly, who do you think it is?"

Mu Fei laughed. "You can use idioms habitually, not bad. It must be from Cong Xia. Let me see." He washed his hands, took the letter, and happily opened it.

Although life in the Xiaoxing'an Mountains forest was peaceful and abundant, Mu Fei often felt a bit lonely. Messages from Cong Xia always brought something fresh to his life. So, every time Cong Xia wrote to him, he was happy, and only Cong Xia would write to him.

Mu Fei spread out the letter and carefully read it. The first few lines made him feel that this letter was not about trivial matters but something important. As he read further, his heart sank.

Devil Pine, understanding his thoughts, immediately had the contents of the letter in its mind. Before Mu Fei could speak, it firmly said, "No, I'm not going."

Mu Fei didn't say anything but earnestly read the entire letter.

Devil Pine looked at Mu Fei with a stiff expression, feeling a bit uneasy.

Finally, Mu Fei sat on the sofa and sighed deeply.

Devil Pine came over, tilting its head to look at his face. "We're not going, right? You said you wouldn't leave here, stay here for a lifetime."

Mu Fei looked deeply into its eyes. "I don't want to go either."
The devil pine's expression remained unchanged, but he could fully sense Mu Fei's emotions, feeling the hesitation and conflict within him.

Mu Fei murmured, "We've worked hard to build this place, and I'm also concerned about your safety."

"Then let's not go." Devil Pine snatched the letter and tore it to pieces.

Mu Fei frowned deeply. "But if we don't go, Cong Xia and the others will die."

Devil Pine sneered, "That's not my concern."

Mu Fei grabbed Devil Pine's hand. "Sonsong, did you see what the letter said? If we don't go, the Great King Octopus will really land one day, and if humans can't stop it, we'll be isolated. Eventually, we'll have to give up this place."

Devil Pine coldly said, "It's three to four thousand kilometers from the South China Sea to the Northeast. It's not that easy for them to find us. If that day really comes, we can leave if we can't fight. Why do we have to go now? We've rooted ourselves here for more than three years. Do you know the cost of leaving this place?"

"Sonsong, for you, humans are just another race, but for me... I used to be human, and now I still have feelings for humans. Besides, Cong Xia and the others are my friends. How can I watch them go to their deaths and stay here in comfort?"

Devil Pine angrily shook off his hand. "Do you want to abandon everything we've worked so hard to build—the vegetable garden, the treehouse, the observation deck? We discussed where to place even a decoration in the room for a whole night. You said you'd stay here with me forever, not go anywhere. You lied to me." With that, it pushed the door and rushed out, disappearing into the snowstorm in an instant.

Mu Fei held his head with force.

After Mu Fei finished cooking, he waited for Devil Pine for a long time, but it didn't return. Normally, at mealtime, no matter where Devil Pine was playing, as long as he called it in his mind, it would come back immediately. Although Devil Pine still didn't like humans much, after being with him for so long, it developed a liking for human food.