Chapter 267

Cong Xia opened his dry eyes, looking at the ceiling. He recognized this place; it was the dormitory at the Zhanjiang Military Base where they had stayed for over a month. Wanting to sit up, his body felt as heavy as a thousand pounds, and his head ached as if it were about to explode. He knew this was the result of overusing his energy. Opting to lie back on the bed, he took deep breaths.

After fully waking up, memories flooded back like a tide. The night they fought at sea, every minute from darkness to dawn engraved in his memory as if etched in bone marrow. He also remembered when they got off the plane, and the entire base saluted them. The surge of pride and heroism within him when Commander Cao called them "heroes," he remembered. When he took out the Puppet Jade from his pocket and solemnly walked towards Commander Cao, he lost consciousness when placing the jade piece into Cao's palm.

Cong Xia checked his energy core; indeed, excessive energy consumption wouldn't recover instantly. Before handing over the Puppet Jade, he hadn't even realized he had reached his limit. That night, to heal and replenish energy for others, he absorbed the energy of tens of thousands of dead sea creatures and 60 stored energy jade symbols. He acted like a large energy transfer station, absorbing energy into his body and redistributing it to others. This machine, operating repeatedly, suddenly lost its reason to persist in the moment of completing the final task and peacefully went on strike.

Thinking about the scenes of the past few days, Cong Xia still found it hard to detach himself from that intense emotional state.

At that moment, the room's door opened, and Cheng Tianbi walked in carrying a thermos. Seeing Cong Xia awake, he hurried to the bedside, "Are you awake?"

Cong Xia smiled, "Tianbi, how long have I been asleep?"

"Three days."

"Oh, my recovery ability is not bad. How about you?"

Cheng Tianbi put down the thermos, poured him a cup of hot water, and then helped him sit up, leaning against the pillow. "I just woke up too. I haven't slept so soundly for a long time; I almost fell asleep as soon as I lay down."
Cong Xia moved his sore arms. "I also went through a lot, but you guys had it tougher than me."

Cheng Tianbi grabbed his arm, massaging his shoulders. "You didn't have it any easier than us."

Cong Xia looked at his determined profile, slowly raised his hand, and touched his cheek. Cheng Tianbi looked at Cong Xia as he leaned in, embracing his neck. Cong Xia sighed, "That night, I thought several times that we were done for. To still be alive now is truly... a miracle."

Cheng Tianbi held his waist, burying his nose in Cong Xia's neck, taking in a deep breath of that familiar scent, feeling a sense of peace. He said, "This miracle is also bought with our blood and sacrifice."

Cong Xia hoarsely said, "Tianbi, the Puppet Jades... we really gathered them. After three and a half years, we've finally made it to this day. It's not easy for us, considering how many people in our group are still alive today. Sometimes, I just think... it's really damn hard."

Cheng Tianbi stroked his soft hair, whispered, "Now is the time for our efforts to bear fruit. In a few days, when we return to Beijing, we'll piece the Puppet Jades together. Even if it doesn't change anything in the end, we've done all we can."

"Yes, we've done all we can."

Cheng Tianbi patted his back. "Hungry? Want to get up for dinner?"

"Not hungry. My head hurts a lot; I don't want to get up. Would you stay with me for a while?" Cong Xia lifted the blanket.

Cheng Tianbi lay down in the bed, holding him. "How long do you want to sleep? I'll be here with you."

Cong Xia asked, "What happened these past few days?"