Chapter Sixteen: The Invitation

29th of March 1997 - Windsor Castle

Pulling the car to a stop outside of the castle, Diana took a deep breath as she mentally prepared herself; she peeked into the back of her car where the children were, knowing that she wouldn't be staying long. 

There was a family lunch planned today and the children were expected to attend since it was their father's weekend with them and they would be spending the easter break with him here with the rest of their family. 

The Queen Mother had arranged a luncheon today, something to do with meeting Edward's new girlfriend since she had apparently met the Queen a few weeks earlier. 

Climbing from her car, Diana smoothed out her skirt as the children climbed from the car; there was an awkwardness about the situation especially since this would mark the first time since her divorce that she had been around the extended family. 

Charles was the only one that she interacted with now, for the sake of the children and Diana found herself cut off from those that were in the same situation as herself. 

Sarah and her had known each other since school despite the fact that they were also fourth cousins, they had a lot in common and had many of the same friends and it wasn't long before they were dining together every week. 

Their friendship was so strong that Diana had invited Sarah to her and Charles' wedding and Diana even gave Sarah fabric to make her own dress for the event. 

Even after she had married Charles, the two had remained close and met every week for lunch when Diana could fit it into her growing schedule as her duties grew. 

It had been Diana that had set Sarah up with Andrew with Diana offering much needed support to the older woman as she stepped into the role of royal girlfriend when the relationship came to public attention. 

It was only after Sarah and Andrew's wedding that a rivalry started to appear, Sarah impressing the Queen shortly after her wedding when she got her pilots licence and even won over Prince Philip by taking up open carriage driving which is one of his favourite hobbies. 

She also excelled at many sports that are important in the royal family such as skiing and horseback riding which Diana found more difficult to get the hang of. 

Sarah had been her rocked until the breakdown of both of their marriages, it had been months now since Diana had spoken to her friend; unable to forgive her for what she had written in her autobiography that had been released last year. 

Diana took Adeline's hand and started towards the castle, she held her head high knowing that she had nothing to be ashamed of nor was she afraid of them despite what people had to say about her. 

William walked a little ahead of her while Harry fell in line and took her free hand as they made their way through the winding corridors of the private part of Windsor; it was oddly quiet despite the large gathering that was happening here. 

Charles appeared at the end of the hall, he was speaking with Andrew and the two of them looked like they were about to head out into the grounds away from the gathering women. 

"Daddy," Adeline called pulling away from Diana and racing to greet her father, Charles ducked down to hug her with a large smile on his face; a small part of Diana hating that he had never smiled like that at her. 

William was next to greet their father, he gave him an awkward hug while Harry hug back holding onto Diana's hand; a look on his face that made her feel uncomfortable. 

Nudging Harry towards Charles, Diana released his hand knowing that she had to stick firm on this; she was trying to foster a good co-parenting relationship with Charles.