04 'Embraced by Kindness, Scarred by Cruelty'

As the last bell rang, the students rushed out of the classroom, leaving only Jay and Eva behind. They packed their bags and prepared to head out as well.

"Hey, go ahead! I've got to lock up and finish some stuff," she said with a polite smile, acknowledging Jay's continued wait.

He uttered his confusion, "Huh!? Why are you doing that? Isn't it the staff's job?" his tone laced with bewilderment.

She said, while getting out, "Yeah, it is, but I prefer to do it. It takes time, and it's a great excuse for me to escape from my bullies. Plus, it's nice to walk when the sun is setting and the sky is painted with hues of red, orange, and other colors." She closed the door behind her, with Jay following her like a lost kitten.

"Oh, that's cool," he said, his eyes sparkling with enthusiasm, "then I'm going to stick with you too." He helped her close the windows and doors of the other classes, his actions mirroring hers with a sweet synchrony. It was clear that he was captivated by her description of the sky, and the gentle way she spoke about it.

_

Now they were outside the school building, ready to go their separate ways, having finished their tasks.

"Well, I guess it's time to say goodbye now," she said, looking up at him with a hint of wistfulness, noticing the sky had darkened.

"Yeah, I guess so," he said, but his tone sounded somewhat strained, lacking conviction, as if he was trying to convince himself more than her.

"You know, it's been so long since I've talked like this, especially with a man I just met today. You made me feel comfortable and happy. Thank you for spending time with me; I really appreciate it," she said, her words accompanied by a sincere and warm smile, as her mind flooded with the memories of their time together, however brief, yet somehow feeling like a lifetime of connection.

"Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! And it's not just for today - it's going to happen every day from now on," he said, his face lighting up with a warm smile, like a little kid on Christmas morning. "I appreciate you too, for listening to all the nonsense I've said, but I'm happy it's made you happy," he added, his eyes sparkling with genuine delight.

"It sure does make me happy," she said, her eyes sparkling with delight. "Anyway, it's getting late, and the sky is turning that beautiful color I was telling you about," she added, gesturing upwards as the hues of pink, orange, and purple danced across the horizon. "You should head home, and I'll be on my way too."

"Oh, okay," he said, his voice softening as he took a step closer to her, his eyes locked on hers with a gentle intensity.

Why is he coming towards me now? Eva thought, her heart skipping a beat as he took another step closer, his eyes never leaving hers, his intentions uncertain but his gaze filled with a warm, gentle spark.

The boy came closer to her, opened his arms wide, ready to envelop her in a warm embrace, his eyes shining with affection, just as he usually did with his loved ones, the gesture of effortless and full of affection.

But Eva, being the over-conscious and traumatized person she was, flinched and backed away, her eyes widening in a flash of fear, as if the boy's sudden gesture had awakened a deep-seated vulnerability within her.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Jay exclaimed, taking a step back. His face falling in disappointment as he realized he had made Eva uncomfortable, his eyes filled with a mix of concern and self-reproach.