The Competent Secretary

A/N: Thank you to those who answered my query. After a lot of thinking and your help as well as my ahem... mother's opinion, I have decided to change the title and cover to Melting the Devil.

So this is like another idea that popped up while watching TikTok.

Enjoy this first chapter.

***

Every morning, Tin Medthanan wakes up at exactly 6:00 a.m., his body clock programmed to allow him to open his eyes and enjoy the morning sun streaming in through the large bedroom windows. After stretching, he changes his clothes and heads out for his morning jog. When he returns, he spends another twenty minutes or so in the bathroom getting dressed for the day. He then goes into his closet where his clothes are all neatly organized, each one tailored to the day's activities. He gives himself a quick look in the mirror before heading into the kitchen where his assistant Can is waiting, smiling as he approaches.

"Good morning, Mr. Medthanan," Can greets in his perpetually cheery tone. "Mushroom omelet and toast for breakfast today! I picked up your favorite from Nona's since I stopped by this morning." He gestures at the paper cup next to Tin's plate.

Tin nods, picks it up once he's seated. "Two packets of sugar—"

"And no cream, of course," Can finishes for him and nods. He goes back to his spot across from Tin, takes out his phone and starts tapping on something.

Tin bites into the omelet and chews and swallows. "What do we have today?"

"Well." Can puts his phone down in exchange for his iPad, waking it with a touch. "You have an appointment with Mr. Thanapon at ten o'clock; he is going to swing by your office and state he just has to run something by you. Next, you have lunch with Mr. Suppapong at eleven o'clock to talk about the potential for growing Upper East Boulevard in the upcoming year. The proposals waiting for your approval on your desk are free for the afternoon." When Can's phone vibrates on the table, it diverts him momentarily until he regains focus. "Ah! And tonight at the Carlton, you have the charity function, where Jane will meet you."

Tin makes a sound as if to speak as he completes his morning meal. "Will you be—"

Can's phone rings loudly, interrupting his query, and he gives him an apologetic expression. When he looks at the caller ID, he grimaces.. "It's Pitchaya. Should I take it?"

Tin's expression hardens. He shakes his head. "It's most likely related to Malaysia's contract failure. I don't have time for his stupidity to ruin my morning. I'll handle him afterwards."

"Yes, sir." Can puts his phone away right away and puts it inside his jacket. He makes an elegant gesture toward the door as he stands. "I have the driver waiting out front if you're ready, sir."

"Let's go, then."

Can seemed to remember something as he leads the way out. "Oh! Hold on, just one second," he says, suddenly turning around to face Tin. Can rushes up to straighten Tin's tie before Tin has a chance to ask what's wrong. He fiddles with it till Tin steps back and smiles at him. "You're all set. I apologize; I should have done that sooner. Slipped my mind."

Tin nods once as they start walking again. "Thank you."

Can grins as he holds the door. "You're very welcome, Mr. Medthanan."

Tin Medthanan, who is thirty years old, is the chief executive officer and vice chairman of Medthanan Group Holdings, Inc., which is currently one of the largest conglomerates in South East Asia, encompassing twelve countries and five industries. Its main office is located in Thailand. Although Tin had always felt the burden to carry on his father's legacy, no one had ever expected him to follow in Medthanan's business footsteps. In fact, as a soccer prodigy, he was even predicted to pick first in the MLS SuperDraft when he turned eighteen.