Raaz-e-Dil

Angst warning

********************
Murtasim, what is it? Talk to me, please!" She implored.

He turned away from her, his silence scared Meerab. "Have I done something wrong?" She asked tentatively, touching his back.

He hated himself for what he was about to do. The words burned his throat on the way out. "You didn't do anything wrong, Meerab. I made a mistake, and I can't hide it anymore. You need to know the truth."

Meerab shook her head even though he couldn't see her. "Don't. Murtasim, please don't"

He turned around at that, not expecting her to react like that. "Meerab..." He stepped towards her again.

"No.. no," she said, walking backward, almost falling. "Please don't Muratsim...please don't do this to me," she was crying, her eyes fearful. The excitement from the moment before was replaced by fear and anguish.

"Meri baat suno," he tried again.

"Nahi...I don't want to hear it. Please, Murtasim. Ek Sach samne aaya tha to Maine apni pehchaan, apne Maa baba ko kho diya tha. Bahot mushkil se sambhala hai maine khud ko. Ab aur Sach bardasht karne ki himmat nahi hai. Main aur kuch khona nahi chahti, " she cried. It broke Murtasim's heart to see her like this. He almost let it go but couldn't do that to her. She had to have all the facts.

"Tumhare liye ye Jan na bahut zaroori hai," he said.

"Nahi sun na mujhe kuch bhi! Main jhooth ke sahare khush hu." She said and turned to walk away.

"Maine chacha Saab se kaha tha ke tumhari shaadi karva de..." he said in one breath.

Meerab stopped and turned back. Her eyes swimming with tears, face filled with pain. "Kya bakwas kar rahe ho? Tum aisa nai kar sakte. Tum jhooth kyun bol rahe ho?" She asked, grabbing his suit lapels.

He kept his eyes on hers. "I am not lying. It was my idea to get you married. "

Her hands slipped from his jacket, and she took a step back. "Why?" She whispered.

"I....I didn't have a problem with you studying law, but Maa Begum and Chaha Saab wouldn't have agreed, and I didn't want to handle the backlash and issues that decision would cause. You would have been angry, lashed out at all, and God knows done what. I didn't know you were chacha saab's daughter and didn't consider you a part of this family." He took a breath and continued.

"I thought they would get you married to a guy in a progressive family. Whose thought process would match yours, and it would be their decision whether you studied law or not."

He looked at her face. She was pale and shaking her head.

"I didn't know they would get you married to me. Believe me, Meerab. I thought getting married would get you out of the shackles of this family... and " he stopped.

"And what?" She asked

"Anwar chaha wouldn't worry about you anymore. The fiasco on the road... you fighting the man for your maid. I knew it was just the beginning. You know how angry they were about that incident. I just hated the drama that surrounded your every life decision, and I knew they would never agree to you studying furthur"

"So you decided to ruin my life? Take away my dreams? Just because you didn't want to worry your precious chacha Saab and Maa begum?" She asked.

"It's not just worry about them. They considered you a part of this khandan, and your actions didn't conform to the norms we had set or how the family worked. I didn't want to have the whole family talking about you."