Chapter 19: Fear of Needles

Author's note: This scene was a suggestion, please do leave more ;) 

TAYLOR

The morning we were scheduled to go to the hospital for Chloe's vaccination, I could sense her apprehension even before I brought it up. As we sat down for breakfast, I knew it was time to address the elephant in the room.

"Chloe, we need to go to the hospital later," I said gently, watching her reaction closely.

Her eyes grew wide, and she hesitated before asking, "Does it... involve needles?"

I let out a soft sigh, knowing her fear of needles. "Yes, sweetheart, it does. But it's really quick, and it's important for your health."

Chloe's face was a mix of fear and reluctance. "I'm scared of them, mom," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper.

I reached across the table, taking her hand in mine. "I know you are, and it's okay to be scared. But I promise you, it'll all be okay. I'll be right there with you, and I won't let anyone hurt you."

Chloe looked down, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. "But it's going to hurt, isn't it?"

I squeezed her hand reassuringly. "It might be a little uncomfortable, but it will be over very quickly. And I'll be there the whole time."

Chloe nodded slowly, her expression still worried but a little less fearful. "Okay, I'll try to be brave."

As we finished breakfast and prepared to leave, I made sure to keep the atmosphere light and comforting. I cracked a few jokes, trying to bring a smile to her face, and reassured her that everything was going to be fine.

Walking to the car, I could feel Chloe's nervousness, but her trust in me gave her strength. I knew this was a big step for her, facing her fear of needles, and I was determined to make sure she felt supported and loved every step of the way.

As we drove to the hospital, I kept the conversation going, talking about all sorts of things to keep her mind off the upcoming vaccination. I wanted Chloe to know that no matter what, she wasn't alone in her fears. We were in this together, and together we could face anything. On the inside, I was scared, knowing this was the first time she'll feel pain while being in my care.

We sat in the doctor's office and Chloe's hand gripped mine so tight I almost had to tell her she was hurting me. Her knuckles were white, her eyes wide with apprehension. I leaned over, whispering words of reassurance. "It's going to be okay, baby. I'm right here with you."

Chloe nodded, trying to muster a brave smile, but I could see the tears forming in her eyes. She didn't speak, and I had to remind her to take deep breaths.

The doctor came in, friendly and understanding. She explained the process gently, but Chloe's fear didn't wane. As she prepared the injection, her grip on my hand tightened even more.

"It's just a quick pinch, darling. I promise it'll be over before you know it," I said softly, brushing her hair back from her forehead.

As the needle came closer, Chloe's tears began to fall. I held her other hand, my heart aching for her. "You're so brave. I'm so proud of you." I didn't know the extent of her past, but I knew she didn't want to be hurt, no matter what. And to her, needles were a sign that pain was coming. Her fear was completely valid. 

The moment the shot was administered, Chloe let out a small cry, but bless her, she kept it together. I immediately wrapped my arms around her, holding her close. "It's all done, sweetie. You did it. You were so brave."