Chapter 5: Runaway

CHLOE

The glitz and glitter of the VIP booth was unlike anything I had ever seen. Luxuriously appointed with plush velvet couches and a sweeping view of the stage, it was a space meant for stars. And sitting beside me, radiant as ever, was Andrea Swift. The reality felt surreal. Here I was, a girl who'd known mostly struggles and obscurities, sharing laughs with Hollywood's best. Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, both looking effortlessly glamorous and down-to-earth, warmly shook my hand as Andrea introduced me as a family friend.
The beats of the songs I'd listened to countless times in the confines of my room now surrounded me in their full glory. Each note, every chorus, vibrated through the air, making my heart race with pure exhilaration. As I danced, letting the music consume me, fans would approach curiously, slipping friendship bracelets onto my wrists, each one a testament to this dream-like night. Andrea's response to their inquiring looks was consistent – "She's a family friend."
In her poised yet protective demeanor, I sensed an undercurrent of fierce guardianship. Andrea's warm eyes frequently scanned the crowd, ensuring my safety, while her laughter and jests kept the atmosphere light and joyful.
Then, a voice familiar yet distant rang through the gaiety, "Chloe!" I froze momentarily, my heart sinking as I recognized the faces approaching the VIP booth. Two girls from the orphanage, memories of their taunts and sneers instantly flooding back. They weren't friends, they were ghosts from my past I had hoped to leave behind.

A palpable tension seized me, but before I could muster a response, Andrea was already on her feet, gracefully navigating the situation. "Hi girls!" she greeted with her characteristic warmth, accepting their proffered friendship bracelets with grace. I marveled at how her arms, already adorned with countless other bracelets, still seemed to welcome more with ease.
Their intention was clear. They wanted to stake their claim, to remind me of a past I was trying to move beyond. But in Andrea's protective shield, their attempts seemed futile.

I stuttered as I moved closer, "T-t-these are my friends from the orphanage." I looked at Andrea with a pleading look and she understood it very well - she didn't move from her spot and put her arm around my shoulder, protectively.
"How do you know Andrea Swift?!" One of the girls called Kayla practically screamed at me - sure, the concert was loud, but i think she just enjoyed screaming at me.

Before I could answer, Andrea stepped in "she won a contest to be at the booth tonight. Lucky girl, huh?" I was impressed that she knew to change the story - they would've known I wasn't a family friend.
The girls eyes grew wide. "Someone gave us a million dollars each. Donated! But I would've preferred to win this contest!" I resisted rolling my eyes at them - it's like they have no idea of the value a million dollars has. I knew Taylor donated it to each child saved from the orphanage, including me. Mine was in a bank account she created in my name.

The other girl, Lauren, stretched out her arm to hand me a friendship bracelet. "Here," she put the bracelet on my arm. Before she pulled away, she brushed her hand against mine and handed me a folded piece of paper. I grabbed it and before I could say anything, the two left.
I waited until Andrea was busy and scooted over in the back corner of the booth before unfolding the paper.
You will pay for your betrayal.

I gasped. My hands started to shake, but I quickly stashed the note in my pocket before I could drop it. Miss Jones knows where I am. My bullies know where I am. They think I betrayed them by telling Taylor about what happened.
I knew what they were capable of and I couldn't risk getting Taylor, Andrea, Joe, or anyone else hurt. Andrea was still busy greeting fans, so I took the opportunity to exit the booth and quickly make my way towards the exit. I kept looking around to see if I could spot the two girls but luckily, they weren't there. When I made it out of the venue, I started to run.

I knew the streets of New York City pretty well. But even for me, tonight was scary. I only stopped running when I made it to Soho, to an area in an alley where I would sleep. As I walked through the dark alley my whole body was shaking from the adrenaline rush, but I knew I needed shelter. And just my luck, it started to rain. I took shelter in the very familiar gap which was just big enough for me to squeeze in. I wondered how many kids would sleep here - it was perfectly placed, just a little bit above the ground - you had to climb on a dumpster and then pull yourself up to it to get in. But after you did, you were safe.