Chapter 25: Chloe Meets Ben

CHLOE

We were in the car, on our way to see my biological parents, Matt and Hannah, again. They had reached out, offering a chance for me to meet my five-year-old brother, Ben, the child they had kept. Sitting in the backseat, I felt a storm of emotions swirling inside me – nervousness, curiosity, a bit of resentment, and an unexpected flicker of excitement.

Travis glanced back at me from the passenger seat. "Remember, if you feel uncomfortable at any point, just let us know and we can leave, okay?"

I nodded, fidgeting with the hem of my shirt. The idea that I could leave if it got too much was reassuring.

Taylor, who was driving, reached out to squeeze my knee gently. "We're here with you every step of the way. You're not alone in this."

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart. "Thanks," I managed to say, my voice a little shaky. "I just don't know what to expect, you know?"

The car ride seemed to stretch on forever, each mile bringing us closer to a meeting that felt like a monumental step in my life. I had so many questions about Matt, Hannah, and Ben. Part of me was angry that they had kept Ben but not me, yet another part of me was curious to meet my little brother.

As we pulled up to their house, my heart was pounding in my chest. The house was modest, with a small front yard. It looked like a typical family home, and that thought alone made my stomach turn. This could have been my home, I thought.

"We're right here, babe. Just take it at your own pace," Taylor said softly as we got out of the car.

Travis gave me an encouraging smile. "You've got this. And remember, we leave whenever you want."

We walked up to the front door together, and as Taylor rang the bell, I felt her hand slip into mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. The door opened, and there they were – Matt and Hannah, looking just as nervous as I felt.

"Hi, Chloe," Hannah said, her voice trembling slightly.

Matt gave a small wave. "It's good to see you."

And then, a little boy with bright eyes and a shy smile peeked out from behind them. "Is that Chloe?" he asked, his voice filled with childlike curiosity.

"Yeah, Ben, this is your sister, Chloe," Matt said, looking down at him. I winced at the word 'sister' said so nonchalantly. 

My heart skipped a beat. "Hi, Ben," I managed to say, forcing a smile.

We settled in the living room, and I got to learn more about Ben. He was a bright-eyed boy with a lot of energy, but it was clear that he was also highly autistic and a whole range of health issues Hannah listed out while in conversation with Taylor and Travis. Despite this, he was engaging in his own way, especially when it came to his LEGO set, which he was eager to show me.

We sat on the floor, Ben enthusiastically putting together something with his LEGOs, occasionally glancing at me with a curious look. Taylor and Travis sat on the couch, observing quietly, giving us space to interact.

Then, out of the blue, Ben asked a question that caught me off guard. "Why don't you live with us, Chloe?"

I froze for a second, unsure how to respond. The truth was complicated and painful, but Ben's innocent eyes were waiting for an answer. "Well, Ben," I started, choosing my words carefully, "when I was little, your mom and dad... they couldn't take care of me. So, they found me a new place to live."

Ben looked confused, and I could tell he was trying to process what I had said. "But I live with mom and dad," he said, a hint of confusion in his voice.