Free to Be You and Me

Dean had said that he and Sam were heading separate ways after what happened with Lucifer rising, Ruby dying and everything else. Sam was taking a little time off. I thought it was going to be a little more than a little, but... yeah.

I was at work at TJz, closing up after dark, scrubbing the counters and bars. The phone on the wall rang. I walked toward it, answering. "TJz."

Sam's voice was on the other line. "Hey, Ness. How you doing?" 

"Well, trying to balance my double lives is a lot harder now that the Apocalypse has started and I have more work to do, but..." Sam chuckled. "Where are you?"

"Uh, Garber, Oklahoma. I found a town up the road showing some Revelation omens." 

"What omens?"

"All right, listen to this. 'And upon his rising, there shall be hail and fire mixed with blood'." 

"Well, ain't that delightful?"

"Yeah. But we already got hailstorms and fire, so I'm guessing blood can't be too far behind." 

"Okay."

"What?" 

"There a reason you're calling?"

"Dean didn't tell you?" 

"He told me."

"Yeah. So, I just thought you might want to find out who's in the area and put a man on this." 

I nodded sarcastically even though I knew he couldn't see me. "Okay, let me see if I can think of the best hunter who might be in the immediate vicinity. Oh, wait. That'd be you."

"I can't, Ness. I'm sitting this one out." 

"Sam--"

"I gotta go. I'm so sorry." 

"Hold on, Sam--"

Sam hung up.

I sighed, hanging up, putting the phone back in the receiver with more force than I meant to, frustrated.

I had called hunters Steve, Tim and Reggie and asked them to go check it out, only to find out from Sam later that they had found out what really happened from the demons they had been hunting. They had figured out that Sam had been the one to break the last seal, and set Lucifer free, and started the Apocalypse. They had figured out about Sam's powers and his addiction to demon blood. They had went to the bar where Sam worked and used a girl that he had been seeing against him. They had tried to get Sam to drink demon blood, but he had refused and fought them off until they left.

Things were getting way too out of control.

And I knew that we couldn't fix all of it. Not alone.

I didn't even know if we even could at all.