(I can't let you go)

I don't want to fight to exist in your life, Oscar

Remembering her last words to him, Oscar clenched his fists tightly.
New York was right in front of him.
Her hands gripped the whiskey glass, her previous demeanor faltered.
Her body shifted, pulled away and Oscar wanted to reach out to touch her.
It took all of him to hold back.

He couldn't read her.

God, how he wished he could read her.

But instead of getting a welcome, a 'It's been a while since I've seen you!', she hugged herself and her walls kept getting higher and higher; Oscar wanted to tell her that he was not there to hurt her.

She looked beautiful – just as beautiful as seven years ago and even more so now.
His heart ached for her, and he wanted to drop down on his knees and apologize, tell her that he should have worked harder for her to feel loved.

Ever so casually, she asked: Where is your jacket?

"What?" Oscar asked, shaking his head, and not understanding what was going on.

"It's cold. Where is your jacket?"

Did she not wonder how he was doing?
Did she not care that she hadn't seen him for seven years?
Wasn't she worried about him getting the wrong idea about Jay?

"Where's yours?" Oscar asked back, referring to her jacket that was nowhere in sight.

"I left it in Jay's car," she replied, and the burning green-eyed monster was back, Oscar taking a step closer to her. She did not move.

"Are you dating him?" he asked, and she simply smiled, looking down at the whiskey glass. "I saw you yesterday."

"I did too," she replied, not answering his question. "Are you here to DJ?"

Oscar nodded, a big lump in his throat. "I want to talk."

"What is there to talk about?" she asked when an arm wrapped around her shoulders, Jay back from his cheers session with his celebrity friends.

"Oscar? Oscar Cameron? He-eyyy!" Jay greeted, extending a hand over to grab Oscar's hand to shake it. "Johnny told me all about you! Said you're a beast in studios. Anyway, Ms. Lawyer, I booked a table right over there in case you're in the mood for some dancing."

Oscar stared at her. She shifted uncomfortably and nodded to Jay, telling him that she wasn't one for clubbing.

Maybe she was dating Jay, Oscar thought.

But he realized that he did not care.
All he cared about was what she made him feel.

"Oh yes, Oscar. Where there is you, there is Dana. Where is she?" Jay asked, tiptoeing, arm around her shoulders.

At the mention of Dana, Jay waved at her.