Part 7

Calm Waters

The onset of nightfall causes a darkness to descend upon the area, as the weak street lights struggle to become lit. Their dim glow is the only illumination available, with the light of the fires from the previous few days still burning brightly and wreaking havoc on all that it touches.

Me and Christa are taking the stealthy way around to the gas station.

As we make our way along the back roads in complete silence, it feels almost peaceful and serene, like all the cruel chaos going on around us was just some nightmare.

"We're almost there, could we possibly take a quick break Steph, please?" she implores me, her facial expression indicating an extreme need for a pause. She looks over at me, bearing the burden of our belongings we snatched up from goodwill, and she appears increasingly fatigued and exhausted from the length of the walk.

"Alright, but this will be the only break we take. hand me the bags over here." I extend my hands out towards her as she obliges, transferring the bags of our belongings into my possession, taking the responsibility of them from her weary shoulders.

I find it highly amusing how, despite being a grown woman, she still acts like such a child at times. She is the type of individual who tends to always look on the bright side, seeking to make the best of any situation and attempting to remain optimistic. It's not always the wisest or best approach, particularly in a time such as this, but it's something about her that I cannot help but admire.

Based on first appearances and my demeanor so far, you know I take life and death situations seriously. I'm not the most fun to be around when it comes to a fucking zombie apocalypses. If you don't like it, you can fuck off.

She huffed and tossed the strands of her long blonde hair from her eyes with a weakened motion. Crouching onto her knees, she removed her backpack and rummaged through it for a moment.

Her eyebrows furrowed and she let out an exasperated groan, throwing her head back and letting out a string of expletives. "Damnit, I gave that woman my only bottle of water. I thought I had put more in my backpack, but I was wrong." She looked up at me in defeat as her hand rested atop the top of her backpack.

Even though I tried to contain myself, a smug grin grew on my lips as I looked down at her. Air puffed through my teeth as I tried to hold back my laughter. I gave her my most 'I told you so' expression.

"Don't you dare open your mouth." She pointed at me and said firmly "I hate that you're always right." An aggressive zip up of the backpack was followed by a forceful toss back over her shoulder.

A smirk spread across my face as I chuckled at the comment, allowing the praise to feed my ego. I adore being right and having others be wrong, it allows me to shove it in their face with a smug smile.

I bet she will listen to my advice from now on.

"I'm so fucking thirsty too." She rubbed her hand through her hair, her tone whiney and complaining.

"Unzip my backpack and hand me the water." I spoke sharply, my short platinum hair flopping over my face.

She rolled her eyes, approaching me as I turned my body around to allow her easier access to the backpack. She unzipped the backpack and reached in to retrieve the bottled water.