Prt 9

Pessimistic

In the weeks since Christa, Mallory, and I devised the rescue plan for her brother and new campsite, we spent much time recently gathering supplies and weaponry. We collected provisions while simultaneously accumulating the materials and equipment that we would need for battle and transportation ahead.

I filled the mustang with gasoline after Julius, Oliver, Macy, and Carmen had left in the SUV which we had previously discovered out and about for the hotel goal.

"Hey Steph, I packed up last night after everyone got settled down, are we about ready to go?"

I glance over my shoulder to see Christa. She is fiddling with her fingers and rocking back and forth on her heels, clearly nervous. I wish she didn't have to go through this. I can only imagine how much is racing through her mind right now.

I don't know what will go down today, but I'm not anxious about it. Her part, in particular, I'm not concerned about. I will protect her, and as long as I am with her, she will be safe.

"Yeah, blondie, just fueling up the car." I offer her a gentle smile.

Mallory and Tyler assist Christa in loading her belongings into the trunk of the mustang along with mine and Mal's possessions. Not long after, we all cram into the car.

Christa occupied the front passenger's seat beside me while the others sat in the backseat.

"So Steph..."

"Hmm?" I say, shifting my focus onto her as the car exits the garage and we approach the fence.

"I'll open the gate for us." Mallory says as she exits the car in a quick manner.

I simply nod at Mallory's words and then wait for Christa to provide her statement.

"I want to stop by the resort's back VIP entrance," Christa mentions while tapping the glove box with her fingernails. "My brother and I both have keycards."

I gaze at Christa with a emotionless expression, allowing my eyes to casually and methodically travel up and down her lovely face, noticing the sorrow-laden tone to her features. The glistening sheen over her eyes breaks my heart as her own worries about her brother, the single person she has on this island, are already clear. She thinks he's dead.

"You got it boss, just tell me whats needed from me." I let my lips curve into a gentle smile, subtly turning my head to the side and watching the now opened gate, owing to Mallory's efforts. I pull the mustang outside the confines of the fire department's property.

I tighten my lips in focused contemplation and add more commentary, "I also understand that this is a very important urgent problem, but we need to be quick about it. We can't take any risks to put more people in danger, yeah?." I speak as the sound of the back car door slamming shut fills the interior, signaling mal was back in the vehicle.

"Yes, yes, I got it Steph I promise, thank you so much." She smiles, grabbing my hand which was resting on the center console, giving it a tight squeeze, she held her hand there for a moment until suddenly she jerks her hand back, she then rests her arms on the window, laying her head over her arms. She watches out the window as palm trees go by.