Chapter 75: Vacation (1)

After the high-profile theft incident occurred, one month quickly passed. During that time, I tried to focus on my studies as much as possible, but it was inevitable that I would be concerned.

The manuscript for Volume 1 of Xenon's Biography is my first written work since I was born into this world, and I have a deep affection for it. Since I wrote it by hand, I feel proud every time I look at the manuscript.

However, when the absurd incident occurred, I was more bewildered than angry. To be honest, I couldn't have imagined that the manuscript would be stolen within a day of its delivery, and I certainly didn't expect that the entrance to the safe would be torn off entirely.

Of course, the responsibility lies not only with the careless publisher who did not hire adventurers but also with me, who handed over the manuscript too easily. Nevertheless, it is unfair.

After a month has passed since then, I devoted myself to my studies while thinking once a day about whose hands the manuscript had really fallen into. I hope it didn't get burned or lost, if it did fall into someone's hands.

"Sorry. We investigated thoroughly, but...nothing turned up."

"Nothing at all?"

"Yeah. Just that the thief is skilled at handling mana and has strong physical abilities. Other than that, we don't know who stole it. That's the result of the investigation led by the empire's top mages."

The secret room of the café was suitable for sharing confidential stories.

Seated across from me, Rina apologized in a sincere voice. I drank the coffee I had ordered in advance and looked at her face.

Her expression had sunk deeply, indicating she had suffered over the past month. Her beauty had also declined due to poor condition management. Although Rina had not returned to the royal family like Leort, she had suffered quite a bit.

'Even from the royal family's perspective, it would be quite a bother.'

I had already handed in my response. It was my treasure, so I begged them to find it.

It had been stolen within a day of the end of the protest, so the royal family must have been suspicious. Especially for the royal siblings who had caused a big fuss, there would have been an inescapable pressure to find it.

Therefore, even Rina, who only attended lectures and did not lead the investigation, must have felt a significant pressure.

"...We can definitely find it. So don't worry too much."

Without saying anything, I just shut my mouth and remained quiet. It seems that she thought I was not saying anything because I was angry.

Given our history, it was understandable that she would think that way. However, contrary to her thoughts, I am not really thinking about anything.

It is a little disappointing that we were unable to find the culprit, but what can we do? I will just feel disappointed and leave it at that.

There is no point in pressuring Rina any further. It's not like the culprit will turn themselves in, and it's better for my mental health to let go of the problem. When the manuscript was stolen, I was angry, but as time passed, I became more composed.

"Alright, but what about the publishing company? Will they be punished?"

"It's not enough to punish them for that alone. Although they only hired employees instead of adventurers, the safe's performance was excellent. Besides, no one expected it to be robbed in just one day, so we let them off. Instead, they were caught for tax evasion."