Part 6.

None of our leads gave a result. Twice Shinohara-san in Suzui’s company conducted a mini-raid on the ghoul's lair. The first time it turned out to be just a crack house, the second... Let’s just say that the ikebana class fell through that day, when two investigators with suitcases were rushing in. But Juuzou, according to him, learned something. This is probably the only achievement in the last week. That's what we'll say at the meeting: our operative is prepared to fold sticks. The only consolation is that other groups are getting worse.

— Are you cooking there? — there’s a voice on Grandma’s phone with a hint of suspicion. Apparently, I heard a squeak in the microwave.

— No. — I’m placing the phone on a shoulder to hear better and pulling out the container. — On my way home from work, I went to get some food.

— Alright.

— It’s parental care, — Grandma says, with a clear sense of restraint.

— Maybe I have a hidden talent for cooking, and you make fun of it. ± I say grimly and feed the cat.

— You were five when you started cooking.

— Indeed!

—You tried to boil rice. Without water.

Peach looks reproachfully at me, and I look at the bowl of food that has been spilled. Well, cooking is definitely not my cup of tea. Although, two meals are still edible: American pancakes, thanks to Grandma, and sandwiches. Should i mention that in Japan this isn't the most popular food?

— I was a child, — I reply regardlessly, picking up scattered food for cat.

— it's not like something’s changed over time.

— How can you sleep well knowing you have such a clueless granddaughter?

— I have no conscience, — Grandma just claims and ask right after: — What about your relationship with your team?

— Shinohara-san is excellent mentor. — i reply, trying to say more, but she interrupts me, asking:

— And what about other?

And the other knows how ro dismember people correctly. And loves cupcakes.

— It's okay, — i say cautiously, trying not to let the cat out of a bag. Well, grandma already knows.

— You know, i checked him.

I froze, not managed to come to a refrigerator. I'm trying to calculate the years immediately, but realising it's not a good idea, i ask unconfidently:

— You didn't work that time, did you?

— I was called especially because of him, — she explains. — Such a specimen. I needed to settle on wether he is appropriate for the job or not.

I nod, realising she can’t see it and I say:

— That explains why they let him become an investigator.

—  I strongly recommended that he not be allowed to work in general and to people in particular.

— Huh, — that’s the only thing I can let our after getting pissed off because of that statement.

So, Grandma didn’t approve Juuzou’s candidacy but he still became an investigator. I heard it was due to exceptional abilities, however...

— Be careful with him, — she continues, despite the silence. — Suzuya is absolutely antisocial individual.

I know.

— Why are you telling me this now?

— Shika.