Part 8

Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?
Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?

Hidden Citizens – Silent Running

— The motion sensors are set up, contact is good, I’m hacking into the security system. — I inform, keeping the other two coordinators next to me.

— Have you connected to the cameras?

— We can’t yet, we have to bypass the security system. — one of them reported nervously tapping his fingers on the table.

— Got it. Waiting.

I let the work absorb me completely, I lose touch with reality. The faster i hack into the security system, the faster it comes to the end. So, what do we have? A person, who own these warehouses, lives in Europe. While he is having blast there, his property is occupied by a group of ghouls led by a ghoul of S-rank, named Claw. Now these buildings are supposedly occupied with victims. The so-called «harvesting for the restaurant». At least so said the ghoul captured by Amon-san and his partner. He was kind enough to share information with us, and he was very talkative, and he didn’t even bother to give up his leader’s name. And also what works Claw now on the infamous «Aogiri tree». They keep it, not allowing anything. I suppose, he does not like it. Once he managed to escape, and, as a result, I have examined one's dead body recently. Well...

— Security system has been hacked. Connecting to the cameras.

— Sakurai-san, we could do that... — The girl with the dark hair, who is the second coordinator says shyly. I still can’t believe I have been appointed head.

— I would better check it out by myself.

I barely notice that she nods understanding. Well, yes, only it will not come to an idiot how personal this matter is for me after the scene I made. My cheeks are filled again with embarrassment.

— No, no, no, you don't understand! I... I must be there, Shinohara-san, I beg you!

Words fly out of my mouth before I realise how meaningless they are. I exhale and turn my back on the investigator, unable to bear the sympathy he shows towards me. And only now comes the realisation that I made a scene in front of my team and Amon-san and Hoji-san's team. Again. Any other day would have embarrassed me, but not now. There are hundreds of thoughts in my mind, one jumps on the other, and a rich imagination demonstrates pictures of Claw's victims.

I almost groan and place my hand to my stomach, barely feeling physical pain in my old scars.

— Shika, are you okay? — Ui asks quietly as he approached me.

— Everything's okay. — I say sharply. I turn to the public and bow.

— Sorry. I know it sounds stupid, but... Shinohara-san, please let me be there...

— It’s out of the question. Let's go. — My boss cuts me off.

he gently takes me by the shoulders and takes me out of the conference room, and I just now realise that the body is shaking a lot. Hysteria, really?

— Listen to me, Shika. — Shinohara-san says quietly, when we have gone far enough. — You have no reason to worry.

I shake my head with my arms around me.

— No reason? — I ask louder than I should have, but I don’t care. — Oh, believe me, I have my reasons! I have reasons to be deadly scared for my team! That monster... I don’t want to watch and hear it... Again...