Chapter 32 - Distance

The wedding date was approaching, yet the relationship between both brother and sister had not alleviated. The many mediation of Ye Huaixin were useless, merely because both of them were stubborn to the extreme.

Ye Huaili had applied for a short break from the Ministry of War and didn't attend the royal court nor he returned to Guanzhong seemingly taking no actions but in actuality, he had mobilized the people of Ye family to monitor Chu Jinglan. This day off, Ye Huaixin had purposely gone back to the clan family home looking for him but was told he had gone to Tianque restaurant and when he arrived, he was indeed there.

"Elder Brother."

After greeting him, Ye Huaixin walked in and unexpectedly smelled the fragrance of wine. He stared at it. On the rosewood table was a jade wine flask that appeared just unsealed but seemingly missing a wine cup on the side, which was held in Ye Huaili's hand.

"Sit."

Ye Huaili sat facing outside the window and only turned around after he emptied the liquor in the wine cup. He didn't ask why Ye Huaixin was looking for him, merely filled up another wine cup and pushed it towards Ye Huaixin.

"Try it."

Ye Huaixin didn't like drinking liquor, besides there was something in his mind thus he had no patience to leisurely savor the wine and gulped the whole cup. As he was unable to hold back, he asked, "Elder Brother, have you thought over the matter that I told you the day before yesterday?"

"You have been an official in the royal court for more than two months, how come you are still so faltering." Ye Huaili rebuked him lightly without directly answering his question.

Ye Huaixin muttered gloomily, "I am not as calm as both of you! One keeps herself in the room all day and the other is indifferent about everything while I am the only one anxious! Am I the one who is getting married?"

"She is not even anxious, so what are you worrying about? Let's just see if King Lan will pay attention to her without the blessing of Ye family."

Ye Huaili seemingly believed Ye Huaiyang would not get a good outcome if she married Chu Jinglan. When Ye Huaixin wanted to refute him, he saw him staring downstairs without blinking his eyes. Following his sight, he unexpectedly noticed the silhouette of Chu Jinglan!

To be precise, he was not the only one on Xuanwu Street but he was standing beside an incomparably long fleet of carts from below Tianque House to the North City Gate which was still pouring in as if it was endlessly far beyond. Although the carts were covered with dark curtains and the guards were extremely tight, it could be seen from the tracks that those were not ordinary items.

"Elder Brother, who are those people?"

"It's from the Meng family. The carts are filled with congratulatory gifts from the north."

Meng family? So.... these were sent by King Lan's maternal uncle, Meng Qi?

Looking over again, Ye Huaixin carefully scrutinized a few more times. It was indeed from the Northern Land, based on the unique decorative pattern of the carts and the dressings of the guards. But the person in the lead seemed a little strange. He was obviously a man yet his features were utterly feminine while the way he walked was also very graceful. Chu Jinglan even deliberately slowed down to walk beside him and when passing over uneven places, he would stretch out his hand to pull him which appeared extremely intimate.

"So, this is the husband that she chose."

Turning his back, Ye Huaili snorted heavily and no longer looked downstairs but Ye Huaixin seemed to understand from that sentence when he opened his eyes wider to observe before he suddenly exclaimed, "That's a woman!"