Chapter 49.1 - Crisis

There are four seasons in a year and the scenery varies from the water flowing in Spring to the bright moon in Autumn. While the most common sights in Jinguan City are the plain snow and verdant pines of west ridge, the never-frozen Lake Guiyue is the pride of the common people.

"Deng Tianguan invites you to cruise the lake and enjoy the moon."

Ye Huaiyang seemed a little surprised that the book she was holding gradually placed back on her lap. Sitting at the table, Chu Jinglan looked at the investigation report from the shadow guard and didn't elaborate as he merely asked in a low voice, "It's only us and the Deng family. Do you want to go?"

"Yes." She answered forthrightly but a shadow of worry hovered in her eyes.

Pei Yuanshu has been away for two days and they have no idea if Deng Tianguan is aware about it. The more casual and harmless the invitation is the more they have to be wary. She asserted never letting Chu Jinglan to proceed alone, yet her adversity is to board the boat and unaware if she could overcome that damn phobia...

Let it be then, just play it by ear.

Night fell in a blink of an eye.

The snow that has been falling intermittently for a few days finally stopped. The full and bright moon that invokes people's extreme joy hangs suspended against the canopy of the sky. Ye Huaiyang raised the curtain several times to look at it while the carriage trundled along the road but she was soon defeated by the profuse gush and rush of cold air. She turned around and cowered into Chu Jinglan's arms, seemingly dying from coldness.

"Is Northern Land colder than here?"

Chu Jinglan nodded.

"Then remember to bring me along when you go next time." Brimming with a genial smile, Ye Huaiyang reached into his cloak and wrapped her hands around his waist as she whispered, "I will be your intimate little padded jacket from now on. With me here, you will not be afraid of the cold again."

Chu Jinglan glanced at her and scoffed, "The little padded jacket that hides in my big cloak?"

"Hateful, this can only be fathomed but not spoken." Ye Huaiyang secretly pinched his waist yet she couldn't help chuckling.

The carriage quietly arrived at the shore of Lake Guiyue amidst the laughter. Dozens of sheepskin ice lanterns were seen hanging above the trestle bridge where the light was dim as it swayed amidst the wind. A huge pleasure boat was docked at the end. The bronze side of the boat and the glazed colored lanterns reflected brilliance all around, which dazzled the sights from afar.

Chu Jinglan led Ye Huaiyang across the trestle bridge. Gazing far into the distance, there were also many offshore vessels on the lake where shadows of women shuttled among them with incessant stringed instrumental songs and dances, appearing extremely lively. It looked like lake cruises during winter were truly a custom here.

Deng Tianguan immediately brought his wife out to greet them when he received the report from his servant. The moment he saw (the breathtaking) Ye Huaiyang, a spark of interest flashed across his eyes.

That's a beautiful, delicate and graceful lady.

He is not ignorant of the fact that Chu Jinglan has a beautiful concubine but he didn't expect her to be so charming - with rosy neck and slender waist, peach-colored cheeks and red lips, as well as a pair of difficult to ignore phoenix eyes, which are so seductive that he was instantly drawn in.

Standing next to him, the expression of Deng-Lin Shi stiffened slightly as she faintly coughed.

[T/N: Deng-Lin Shi - wife of Deng Tianguan. 林 ((Lín) - the maiden name 氏 (shì) - clan/family]