Chapter 95 - Fall

With the sun scorching directly overhead and the heat waves sweeping across the land, even the Imperial Study hidden under the dense leafy shades could hardly fend off the attack of heat. With a little eunuch kept fanning in front of the imperial table and the flow of breeze from the ice block, not mentioning how cooling and comfortable it was yet Chu Sanghuai threw a writing brush out of the blue that the 'pa' sound left the table full of red spots where the largest splotch bled like ghastly blood onto the memorial which he had just reviewed.

The little eunuch dared not speak as he bent down tremblingly to pick the writing brush up. Just at this moment, Zhang Yin, the imperial guards' commander was here to see him. The little eunuch breathed a sigh of relief and silently stepped aside to give way when someone soon pushed the door in.

"This humble subordinate bows to Your Majesty."

"Rise." Feeling vexed, Chu Sanghuai's tone was rather impatience, "You better have something important to report."

Being with Chu Sanghuai for such a long time, Zhang Yin naturally understood his moody temperament and was not afraid of him. He bowed slightly and replied steadily, "Your Majesty, Ye Huaixin went to Liuguang Palace last night."

A single stone triggered a thousand ripples that Chu Sanghuai immediately restrained his expression as he sat upright and asked, "What had you gathered?"

"Reporting to Your Majesty. As per Ye Huaixin, he wanted to rescue Wangfei Lan. Wangfei Lan refused, lest she would cause fatal disasters to the Ye family after she left. They then quarreled and the argument seemed quite intense but Wangfei Lan ultimately compromised and they arranged to escape from the Imperial Palace on the day you go worshipping the Heavens."

Narrowing his eyes at once, Chu Sanghuai's heart was bursting with bloodthirsty murderous intent.

Ye Huaiyang, you were indeed playing tricks with Us. It was all falsehood about wanting to be the Empress and trampling the Wang family's head. You absolutely had no intention of handing over the testamentary edict and We were actually fooled by you!

In a split second, there was another clanging and banging where the enamel writing-brush washer and the inlaid precious clay inkstone were all swept and smashed to pieces on the ground. Zhang Yin seemed already used to such scenes. With his head hung and standing calmly, he waited for Chu Sanghuai to speak.

"Did they find out you were eavesdropping?"

Zhang Yin shook his head, "No, they both are not skilled in martial arts and totally unaware that this humble subordinate was outside."

Hearing this, Chu Sanghuai's anger was slightly suppressed yet ominous light flickered in those menacingly ruthless eyes as if something was brewing when moment later loud sinister laughter was heard.

"The more she wishes to escape, the more We want to hamper her and see where she can go."

Hearing this, Zhang Yin knew Chu Sanghuai was going to personally play this cat and mouse game whilst there was nothing more for him to do, so he bowed and excused himself.

Soon the day to worship the Heavens came three days later. Qu Fang got up early in the morning with the appearance of following the orders to serve Ye Huaiyang but she had secretly begun making preparations and was merely waiting for Chu Sanghuai to leave the palace before she hands Ye Huaiyang over to the people who are coming for the rescue. Everything will be alright as long as she can get out of the palace without a hitch. Ye Huaixin has gotten everything ready and will certainly be able to take her out of Wangdu.

Yet an imperial decree appointing Wangfei Lan to follow the imperial entourage to pray for the common people of Shuzhong and King Lan unexpectedly came while she was in the midst of preparation. Seemingly struck by thunder from the clear sky, Qu Fang almost lost her composure on the spot.