One. The Reaping

𝐎𝐍𝐄 ╰┈➤ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐆

THE DAY HAD COME. The time of the year every teenager dreads. The reaping.

Phoenix Mayfield looked at her dress in the mirror running her hand over the sleeve where she had to stitch up a hole after helping her father gather some of the grain.

She took a deep breath calming herself as she assured herself she would be picked. A hand touched her shoulder making her wince. She quickly turned around to see her brother.

"Everything's gonna be fine, Pixs" Zayden assured, adjusting his hand. Zayden was finally 19 which meant he was safe from the reaping, unlike his 15-year-old sister whose anxiety was eating her alive.

"I can't do this" She told him taking her head.

"Hey, hey, listen to me. You're gonna be fine, alright?" She nodded but the worry was still behind her eyes. "Once it's over we'll just skip rocks on the lake" She smiled weakly. That was their thing, Zayden had taught her how to do it alongside some of the other kids in the district while their parents provided for their family.

The sound of the alarm rang from outside the house. Zayden pulled the blonde into a hug, and she hugged him back, even though he assured her that they'd see each other again it still could've been the last.

The signing-in went the same as normal. Prick. Blood. Finger pint. Stand in line to see which unlucky boy and girl would be chosen.

─────⋆⋅☆⋅⋆────

"Ben, come on!" Daniella Wesley yelled inpatient, filling her tone. She hated the reaping as much as everyone else did, she just wanted to get it over and done with.

"I'm coming" Benjamin groaned, adjusting his jacket as the fabric inched against his skin. She glanced over at him and scoffed.

"Put the blazer on properly" She told him, walking over to him. "Pa spent a lot of money on this" adjusting the blazer to smart. He rolled his eyes.

The alarm rang through the house making The younger Wesley jump slightly. Daniella sighed, it was Ben's first reaping, he was acting like he wasn't scared but she could tell he was.

"Benny, it's okay to be scared" She did her best to empathize with him but she was never good at that type of stuff.

"Papa said I'm not allowed to be scared and stop calling me Benny" He uttered staring back at her.

She sighed again, "Come on then" She opened the front door the dim light shone on her face as she offered her hand to her younger brother but he shook his head walking in front of her.

They stood in the line of other teenagers as they watched the keeper take fingerprint. She felt an arm wrap around hers, she looked down to see her brother with fear written all over his face.