The Duel

Regulus had undoubtedly been having way too much fun during the past two weeks. He liked annoying Agatha, but he had been caught of guard when she had actually slapped him. He liked having such an effect on her. During their patrols he had made fun of her for admitting that he had been right in the kitchens, he was never going to let her live it down.

Regulus thought about the Defence Against the Dark Arts class that he had next as he, Antonin, Evan and Barty ascended the moving stairs of the Hogwarts castle.

"Didn't Professor Bodlebead say we were going to have duels during one of our classes— oh I hope it's today..." said Evan with an excited twinkle in his eyes.

"And I hope I'm on against Cresswell," chuckled Barty. "The stupidity of the boy astounds me."

Regulus and Antonin chuckled as they walked on the Serpentine corridor on the third floor of the castle.

"Hello," said a feminine voice from behind them.

They looked over their shoulders. Emma, Agatha and Zelia were walking toward them.

"What were you chuckling about?" asked Zelia.

"You remember when Professor Bogglebead said that we were to have a duel at some point—"

"Oh yes, he hinted at it being today at the end of our last class," said Agatha.

"Really?" asked Antonin, "We were only talking about it because we were hopeful of it being today."

"Then again you lot listen to his every word," chuckled Evan, "We can't miss your adoring expressions—"

"He is fit, and it's just a fact," said Zelia indignantly.

The boys rolled their eyes.

It seemed as if the whole class was already assembled outside the classroom, talking excitedly. Therefore the duel was obviously going to happen today.

The oak door opened. "Enter, please," said their DADA teacher.

Professor Boglebead was a very handsome young adult. 'Twas sad that his name did not match his nice appearance. A scar ran from his jaw all the way down his neck. Some assumed that he was a werewolf, the girls, on the other hand, tended to believe that it was a remnant from a heroic battle against a dark wizard. Professor Boglebead had taken a year off his Auror duties to teach at Hogwarts. The boys, who were sometimes annoyed at the teacher for no good reason—except the fact that the girls looked at the man with eyes like puppies—laughed and joked about his temporary retirement being due to not having the proper mindset for an Auror. Zelia, who had proved to be quite fond of the professor told them off every time.

They took their seats, Agatha sat herself down next to Emma whilst the rest of their companions sat down on the empty stools of neighbouring desks.

"Oh— don't sit down, you'll be standing lots today. Now everyone please form a line in alphabetic order. By your surnames, if you please." He nodded with a small smile as the line began forming slowly.

Emma and Zelia both went to stand at the far end of the line as Agatha, Antonin, Regulus and Barty all went to the beginning. Evan was stood somewhere in the middle. Agatha hoped to Merlin that she would be paired up with Bertram Aubrey and not with Regulus. She hoped that the student standing next to Aubrey would become violently sick or that someone would perhaps be late for the class and take their place at the front of the line.

"Now, you who did not listen during our previous class might be wondering why you are stood in a line," said the professor as he paced up and down from one end of the line to the other. "We are going to be duelling today. I have taught you how to do it during our classes this year, so you should know well enough how to proceed."