Lullaby

Izuku's always heard the same tune in his mind when he feels uneasy, tense, anxious. The same melody he's heard since the day he came into the world. He heard it when he fell down and scraped his knee, when he cries late at night, when he's alone in a hospital room again. It soothes him, calms all the emotions bubbling up in his chest. It's his secret, his song. The one thing he holds so close to his heart you'd take his life along with the song if you ever heard it. He'd never thought he'd share the song. Not even if he loved someone as much as he loves Katsuki.

-

Izuku gets up from the ground, ringing in his ears and his body so warm it feels like a sauna. Blood is running down his head, his body, his everything. Everything hurts and he can hardly breathe, every breath coming out with a huff. He looked around, his eyes landing on bodies laying on the ground for a few seconds before they would move onto someone or something else. He defeated Shigaraki, he reached him. He had done it. Yet, he had never felt so empty in his life. He hears voices through the ringing in his ears but blocks it out, his heartbeat creating a white noise in place of the commotion. He had to find Katsuki.

He looks to Best Jeanist, who's sitting on the ground, clearly hurt, probably calling out for him. But he frowns and shakes his head, feeling a tingle in his skin before he floats up into the air and uses his quirk to take off towards Katsuki. It's raining, the water pouring down on him and clearing his face of some blood and the dried tears. His body feels heavy with the rags covering his whole figure. He doesn't know how he's still going, how he's up in the air, refusing to give up yet. He knows the second he stops to take a breath, the air will be taken from his lungs and he fears what will happen after that. So he continues huffing, his lungs feeling the size of peas as he tries to fill them. He probably broke a few ribs, he doesn't even know how many bones he's broken in the rest of his body. But it hurts. It hurts so bad he can barely feel it.

He closes his eyes for a second, the wind making his eyes dry out even if rain is rushing in soon after. When he opens them again he can see people on a rooftop, two looking injured and unmoving by each other and one alone, swaying as they prepare to fall. Izuku's eyes widen and he shoots down, faster than gravity because his feet reach the ground and Katsuki's weight is in his arms. Izuku huffs louder, breathing becoming harder as he looks at the destroyed boy that once held the sun and more. Now he looked like a dull hollow form of what once was. But Izuku knew that wasn't true, he was still here. There was still time.

Katsuki's eyes open slightly, his eyes glazed over with a mix of blood that blends in with the intense color of his eyes, and tears. He examines Izuku's face, his face unchanging as he takes in everything. Then he smiles, actually smiles. Izuku can't find it in himself to smile back, even though he's never seen something so disgustingly beautiful before.

"Izuku," Katsuki croaks out, his voice croaked and a scratched version of what it was. Izuku feels his stomach twirl and spin and his heart shatter into a billion little pieces.

"Kacchan," he breathes out, his knees feeling wobbly until he gives up and falls to the floor with Katsuki still in his arms. He pulls Katsuki in closer, examining his whole structure with an expression he's sure is mixed with shock, dread and terror alike. His breathing slows ever so slightly, not noticable by anyone but himself.

Katsuki blinks a few times, blood filled tears rolling down his face and leaving trails of blood down his already stained cheeks. He chokes out a sound before he coughs and spits blood onto himself. Izuku frowns and tears fill his eyes, rolling down his cheeks because he couldn't hold them back even if he tried. He brings up a hand and fruitlessly tries to rid Katsuki's perfect face of some of the gore. Katsuki's eyes slowly close until he exhales and leans into Izuku's now stationary hand.