Chapter Ten - Skate of Shame

Taylor's POV
I can't believe it's my second year playing the Canucks. My first day of practice feels like it was a week ago and my first game feels like it was yesterday.

"There's my gorgeous girl. You ready for another season of hockey?" Quinn asks, wrapping me in a tight hug. I smile.

"Yes. I am. And this year I think we're gonna do even better than last year. I'm just confident we will be,"

"Sure. You wanna go out for drinks with the guys later if we win?" Quinn adds.

"I would love to. Going out with the guys is probably the only time I can hang out with you in public," I say with a smirk. Quinn laughs.

"Yeah. That's true,"

*

This year, our first game is against the Anaheim Ducks. I'm excited to see Trevor again, but Quinn isn't as ecstatic. Trevor has always been treated like a fifth Hughes child and Quinn always thought he was a bit obnoxious, mostly because Trev is known for never shutting up.

During warmups, Trevor skates over to me and waves to me as he blows a bubble with his gum and pops it.

"Hello, Trevor." I say. Trevor smiles.

"Hi Tay. How's life?"

"Can't complain. How about you?"

"Not too bad. Jess and I are planning on moving together this year, so Jamie's been desperately trying to find a new roommate before I leave but I think he might be stuck in an apartment alone." Trevor explains. I laugh.

"Poor Jamie. I'm sure he'll get used to it though. I certainly did,"

"Yeah. I'm sure he'll be fine,"

"Taylor, once you're done fraternizing with the enemy, you should get back over here and practice with your team. Unless you want Coach to trade you to the Ducks," Quinn says.

"Okay, Huggy. I'll join you guys in a second," I say. I look over at Trevor again and give him a fist bump. "See you later, Zegras. May the best team win,"

I skate back over to my team and notice a little girl holding up a sign, asking me to trade a hockey puck for her friendship bracelets.

I grab a puck and hold it out to the girl. Her eyes grow wide with excitement as I hand her the puck through the hole in the glass. She takes the puck and hands me four friendship bracelets.

One has my last name and team number on it with the other beads being in Canucks colors, but the others have Quinn, Brock, and Elias's last names and team numbers on them coupled with the same bead color combo as mine. I give her a questioning look and she tells me that I need to give them to my friends. I smile and mouth a thank you to her, skating away to give the guys their own bracelets.

Quinn, Elias, and Brock are all standing together at the moment and I skate over to them, holding my hand out stretched to show them the beaded bracelets.

"What are these?" Quinn asks. I smile.

"They're friendship bracelets. That little girl with the poster made them for us. See? I've already got mine," I explain, pulling up my sleeve to reveal the small bracelet adorning my wrist. "Take them and thank the girl for them. It'll make her day,"

The three guys take their bracelets and put them on their wrists. I can see the girl out of the corner of my eye and she already looks pretty excited that they had even put them on. Elias makes a heart with his gloves to the girl and Brock and Quinn silently say thank you to her. The girl gushes and mouths a you're welcome to them.