Chapter 4 - Division

Author's Note: In which Anakin runs into a certain youngling and sees Sidious again. :')

~ Amina Gila

It's been a few weeks since Anakin came to the Jedi Temple, and he... doesn't necessarily like it here, but it's better than Tatooine, and he'll survive.

He hasn't heard a word about his master.

Obi-Wan trains him most of the time, and whenever that's not happening, he's in his room, which is... it's lonely, mostly because he's not used to it, but Anakin is starting to adapt to it. He doesn't like being surrounded by people he doesn't trust, but he can't deny that he cares for Obi-Wan, either.

He doesn't want to. Hasn't meant to, but he does, and he doesn't know how to feel about that. Sidious would be disappointed in him. Anakin is supposed to be a Sith, and he isn't managing that very well.

But Obi-Wan isn't bad, and Anakin can't pretend he is. He's a Jedi, and Anakin is wary of him, but maybe he's just... misguided? He's not a bad person. Anakin knows him, and maybe he isn't always nice, but he tries to be, and that means a lot.

That means everything.

He usually is with Anakin wherever he goes, and he's finding that increasingly preferable to being alone. Whenever Obi-Wan isn't here, it's when Anakin is in the main areas of the Temple that are considered common parts. Everyone – at least all non-Initiates – roam these halls freely.

He's wandering right now, admittedly a little aimlessly, but Obi-Wan asked him to go to the training room again, and for once, he's heading there alone. After what happened the last time he was alone, he's a bit wary about it, but he doesn't think Obi-Wan would tell him to do something that would hurt him. He never has, and it's – it's weird. Sidious was gentle with him, but never like Obi-Wan is.

It didn't give him a feeling of home and calm, of rightness which he's felt ever since Obi-Wan came into his life, like this is something that was always meant to be.

That's when he senses someone nearby, someone... watching him? There's someone else here with him, though Anakin doesn't know who. The presence is brilliant and untainted, implying it's someone young. A youngling? He can't tell clearly from the presence, but he can't help thinking it's young to be a padawan.

Not that Anakin even understands how the Jedi operate. He doesn't care to, either.

He pauses, glancing over his shoulder, and whoever it is darts behind a pillar out of sight. They're small, and Anakin didn't get a good look at them, but they're definitely young, if they're humanoid.

It's gentle and so soft, even if it vibrates with energy.

Anakin keeps moving, opting to ignore it, because Obi-Wan is waiting for him and he needs to hurry.

He's not foolish enough to take the Jedi's seeming kindness for granted and test his limits. Or anyone's. (He cares about Obi-Wan, and Anakin wants Obi-Wan to care about him, too, and he doesn't know why that matters so much. This is a Jedi. He shouldn't feel so... relaxed. Shouldn't feel the desperate need to... serve. That was supposed to be saved for Sidious alone.)

He hears footsteps behind him again, and whoever the child is, they're definitely stalking him. It's kind of adorable, and Anakin hasn't had anyone follow him out of genuine curiosity before. It's always wariness, of trying to make sure he can't hurt anyone. That's not what he senses from this... child.

They're just curious – he can feel it.

"I know you're following me," Anakin says finally, turning around.