4. ~ Chaotic Hastinapur ~

THIRD PERSON POV:

In their happiness, the couple forgot about Bhishma, who was standing in disbelief as if he had seen his Gurudev smiling. Finally coming out of his stupor, Bhishma approached the couple to congratulate.

At that exact time, a figure arised from the water who was none other than Mata Ganga. She came out of the waters and went near Bhishma who was surprised to see her. Both mother - son duo, went near the couple who were admiring their son with so much love and care.

Hearing footsteps, Adhirath and Radha turned around only to see the Godess of Purity, Mata Ganga, with her son, walking towards them with a smile.

As soon as they arrived near them, Mata Ganga immediately went near the baby and applied a dog kohl behind his ear. "May he always be happy and healthy. I, the Godess of Purity, bless him to have the purest soul in the entire Aryavart." said Mata Ganga with a smile on her face.

AFTER 5 YRS:

5 years ..5 years of bliss happiness and joy. The bliss everyone craved for. The happiness everyone longed for. The joy everyone thought had vanished. Everything was surreal, peaceful and happy.

It has been five years to Karn's birth. Karn, a name that brought smile to the most isolated heart of Bhishm. Adhirathi, the wise small joyous and mischievous little brat of adhirath. An absolute heart stealer and charmer. None can ignore his charm not even the cold heart of Satyavati, Ambika and Ambalika. Kripacharya too was fond of this little menance due to his intelligence.

The day Karn was handed over to Radha & Adhirath by evening they had arranged a grand feast that left most people in awe. But what surprised them was Bhishm's willing participation in arranging everything for the little one. His birthday celebration couldn't be forgotten by anyone.

In these five years Karn had made nearly half of Hastinapur fall in love with him. His helping nature, caring attitude, intelligent talks, and cute face could even melt Kailash.

Dhritarashtra, Pandu & Vidur had returned to Hastinapur a year back and soon got fond of Karn.

Everything was going good until the time of coronation came. Vidur on the basis of shastras proclaimed Dhritarashtra ineligible for being a King as he was blind. To rectify this the elders decided to get Dhritarashtra married to the princess of Gandhar who had recently got the boon of 100 sons from Lord Shiva. The alliance brought a terrific storm not only to Gandhar but also to Hastinapur.

The Gandhar raj said a no for the alliance and the war that followed led to the death of the King and his 99 sons leaving his youngest son, Shakuni as a heir. Not finding any other way to save her Kingdom, the brave princess of Gandhar, Gandhari decided to marry Dhritarashtra. But what she did next shocked the royal family and Shakuni to hell. She tied a cloth around her eyes to feel the pain of her husband.

Her deed which should have been respected was seen as disobedience. Although Dhritarashtra and the royal family accepted her but never gave her the due respect. But Gandhari was a strong-willed woman who had utmost trust in Lord Shiva. Every morning & evening she would pray in the Shiva temple constructed in the palace gardens and share her sorrows.

After a few days, the king kuntibhoj arranged a swayamvar for his daughter, Kunti, which was attended by Pandu on behalf of Hastinapur. And he was successful in winning the swayamvar and married Kunti and bringing her to Hastinapur.

But on the night of their return to Hastinapur, Pandu had to go help Madra in a war which he won victoriously. Hearing this everyone was elated especially Kunti. She has been standing at the palace gates waiting for him, when she saw a familiar figure beside him on his chariot. That person was her Kanyakul Sakhi (friend), Madri.

Seeing her, Kunti became elated on realising that now she and her sakhi can live together with each other forever. On seeing Kunti, Madri too had the same reaction. After welcoming them, Kunti dragged Madri with her while gossiping about various things with her.

But one day, when the trio were going through a forest, Pandu had hit a dear with his arrow, who was actually Maharishi Kindam in the disguise of a deer enjoying with his wife. He cursed Pandu that, the moment he will be sexually active with any woman, he will die immediately.
Hearing this he was devastated and arriving at the palace, he told his decision of giving up the throne to his brother. The next day after Dhritarashtra's rajtilak (coronation), the trio, left for vanvas.

After a few days, Gandhari was pregnant, which brought the allure back in the palace. But even after 1 year and 2 months, she had not given birth. Upon consulting Rishi Ved Vyas, he informed them that Gandhari will have to carry Mahadev's boon in her womb for a total of 2 years. All throughout this, Karn had also won Gandhari's heart and stayed with her the entire pregnancy.

Even after almost 2 years, she did not show any signs of labour, whereas Pandu and Kunti had conceived  Yudhisthir from Yamaraj. Hearing this, Dhritarashtra got agitated and decided to conceive a child from Sugandha, Gandhari's handmaid and friend. So, she decided to abort the baby. But as a result, she went into labour and delivered a chunk of meat. Everyone were devastated at this news and blamed Gandhari for it.

But Rishi Ved Vyas came told them that it is nearly life taking for a woman, when she gives birth to only 1 baby. How will Gandhari survive birthing a 100 children. Everyone were regretting their behaviour towards Gandhari and apologized to her. On the insistence of wanting a daughter, Rishi Ved Vyas divided the chunk of meat into 100 sons and 1 daughter a total of 101 seeds and put each of them in a cocoon like structure for 9 months.

After 9 months, the first kaurava was born on a windy, amavasya night, Suyodhan, and at the same time in the forest, Kunti conceived Bheem from Vayudev. Due to the bad winds, Suyodhan was called a bad omen by Vidur and hence proposed to kill him. But everyone were against him as it was a heinous crime to kill an infant.

Between the gap of 2 years, all the Kauravas and Pandavas had been born, from which Arjun was conceived from Indradev and Nakul & Sahadev, after a year, were conceived by Madri from the Ashwini Kumars. 

Till the Kaurava Princes and Dushala were of 7 years, Karn took it upon himself to never let them feel left out. Due to their parents being the Maharaj and Maharani, they couldn't spend time with them, but Karn made sure to make them understand that they were not purposefully neglecting them but it was because of their duties that they were unable to look after them.

Vidur was still adamant on proving his word that Duryodhan, a boon of Mahadev, was a bad omen. He would find any opportunity to scold him (Dury) and would present any small mistake of his in made accidently as massive blunder in front of the elders. Rajmata Satyavati, in the influence of Vidur, also searched any opportunity to degrade them, but Karn and Mata Gandhari would stand as a barrier infront of them. 

But because of Karn's and Mata Gandhari's upbringing, the Kauravas never took anything for granted. Never insulted anyone for fun. Never spoke in high voice to their elders. Never believed in caste system as it is stated in the Vedas that " Veda Varna Vyavastha is based on talent and not on birth". Always woke up early to go to the Shiv Mandir with their mother to offer their prayers. Even Gandhar Raj Shakuni, brother of Mata Gandhari, was surprised at the amount of self - discipline that they hold in such a young age. After the Kauravas turned 7, Karna had to go in search of a Guru to earn knowledge about shastras (weapons) and shaashtras (scriptures). But, before going for his studies, Karn made the Kauravas take a promise to always be polite and show humility and compassion to everyone in their life.

------------------------------------------------------
Ages of Karn, Pandavas and Kauravas after Karn's departure:

karn - 14 yrs
yudhisthir - 8 yrs
bheem - 7 yrs
duryodhan and 100 kauravas - 7 yrs
arjun - 6 yrs
nakul, sahadev - 5 yr