Chapter Two

12 Years Later....

Another quiet day in the tower.

There's not much to do, and frankly, there never is.

The only thing that was keeping you from absolute boredom was the hide-and-seek match that Xena, your pet and most treasured only companion, suggested sometime earlier.

You scour the rooms in the lower floor of your secluded two-story tower for any trace of the green snake, but boy, she was so sneaky, she lived up to her reputation perfectly.

After almost giving up in the search, you remember you can trace her using the enchantment you'd placed on her (which was only used if you really needed to find her, but this is just as useful), carefully sneaking over to open window by the front door. Sure enough, there she was, trying to hide in between the dark green leaves.

"Found you!" you cheered victoriously, pulling her back inside the house. Xena pouts, sticking her pink tongue out at you.

"I know you cheated," she grumbles, slithering up your arm. Placing an enchantment where you could understand what she was saying was probably what kept you sane all these years. It felt like another presence was in the tower with you.

"I was simply being resourceful," you retorted, tapping her on the nose. "Anyway, that's 22 for me~"

You put your hands on your hands on your hips and glance at her over your shoulder. "How 'bout 23 out of 45?"

The side eye Xena gave you was clearly visible.

"Okay, so that's a no, then," you said, pursing your lips. "Do you have any ideas?"

Her eyes practically light up when you ask her for suggestions.

"Why don't we go outside today and play?"

You gave her a look and shake your head, declining the request, and Xena's excitement deflates.

"Sorry, Xena," you murmur with a soft shrug. "But you know the rules. We stay inside the tower at all times. Besides, I like it in here, don't you?"

"Yeah, right," she retorts. "I've known you for over 15 years and I've never seen you step foot outside this house."

"That's because Mom pretty much forbade me to go outside. I'd be disobeying her if I did."

"Forget that! You're practically 18 now! Your mom has no reason to keep you locked up in here all day, every day!"

"Cmon, don't be like that," you frown slightly. "She's keeping me safe, you know that."

Xena doesn't say anything further, but the look in her eyes spoke volumes for her.

"Besides," you continued, giving her a slight nudge using the tip of your finger. "It's not so bad in here."

Before either of you can say anything else, the tall clock standing next to the fireplace began to sound, signaling the start of the day.

7:00am.

"Alright, playtime's over," you sighed as you pulled the tower doors closed.

"Aw, already?" your pet snake whined, her head turning over to stare at the ringing clock.

"Yep, time to start on the chores. Again."

Every day is the same for you. An average routine.

7 starts the day. You stare reorganizing things, dusting the shelves, sweeping until the floor's spotless.