Chapter 9

The week rolled by quickly and Saturday morning came. It was 10:00am and Chloe just laid on her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her mother was home and she could hear her nagging voice from downstairs. It drove her crazy how much complaints could come out from one person's mouth. The door bell went off from downstairs, gaining Chloe's interest. She wondered who it was.

"Chloe get down here !"

Her mother called.

Chloe got downstairs to find Elliot at the door, and her mother looking at her expectantly.

"Um"

"Your boyfriend is here" her mother said with a hint of sarcasm in her voice

"I'll take care of this" Chloe responded, not bothering to correct her mum since she knew it wouldn't make a difference. She stepped out and shut the door behind her

"What are you doing here?" She asked Elliot

"Well ouch" Elliot responded, ignoring the fact that she didn't correct her mum's assumption of who he was. Chloe sighed, looking up at him, admiring his curly hair. She always had a thing for beautiful hair.

"I didn't mean to hurt you" she said, her expression contradicting her words. She looked nonchalant

"Relax, you didn't. I'm here because I need your help"

"My help? With what?"

"My parents"

"Can you please be straight forward?" She asked in a demanding tone, annoyed by his short responses. He avoided eye contact.

"I was out late one night and I used the excuse of my girlfriend having an emergency so now my mum has been pressuring me to bring her over"

Chloe's heart rate spiked. She knew where this was going.

"What does that have to do with me?" She asked. Elliot finally directed his gaze at her, maintaining eye contact he said;

"I need you to be my girlfriend"

Chloe held his gaze for a bit, then looked away.

"I don't..."

"Please, only for a few weeks then we can pretend to break up"

"Why don't you ask Laila?"

"My mum knows Laila"

"She could be your girlfriend"

"She isn't. And my mum knows that"

It was silent for a minute, Chloe focused on her shoes. She pondered the idea. Her first instinct was to stand her ground but she couldn't bring herself to.

"We'll only be doing this for your parents right?" She looked back up at him.

"Yes. You probably wouldn't need to do it twice, it's not like she can invite you every night for dinner" his tone was pleading.

She sighed

"Fine." She agreed

Elliot smiled, exposing his perfect set of teeth. It made his face light up. Chloe couldn't help but notice how attractive he was. He should smile more often, she thought to herself.

"I'll pick you up at 6:30. Wear a dress"

"What ? For wha..." she started but Elliot already turned around and walked away. She glared at his back, knowing for a fact he did it intentionally.

She went back inside and found her mum sitting on the couch expectantly. Her arms were folded on her chest and her gaze was piercing.

"Since when did you have a boyfriend?" She asked