𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗩𝗘

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗦𝗧 𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗘 Val saw her sisters in almost a year was through an Iris Message

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗦𝗧 𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗘 Val saw her sisters in almost a year was through an Iris Message. She was sitting at the Hermes table–Tantalus insisted–with a premier view to the two traitor daughters of Hecate.

Percy had tricked Luke, starting the live message behind Luke's back. Valentina could see the tense curve of Luke's spine, Seraphina next to him–she was facing him with her body, though her face stayed pointed at Percy–and a little bit away, Val could see Bella.

She could see, though the rainbow mist, the /joy/ that spread across Bella's face. She was pleased that Percy had figured out a way to signal camp. She wasn't a traitor.

The whiplash made Val's head spin. She could feel Ellis and Mia watching her, pityingly. They couldn't see it. They were blind.

Bellatrix wasn't evil. Bella had been dragged away, like Percy had said, and now that Percy was on the yacht with them, he could bring her home. He could bring both of them home.

Percy could save her sisters and the Golden Fleece, which was more than she had dared to hope.

𝗩𝗔𝗟 𝗞𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗧𝗛𝗔𝗧 she wasn't visible in the Iris Message, because when Sera whirled around after it had been revealed, she only looked angry.

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗖𝗔𝗠𝗣 waited for the arrival of the Golden Fleece. Val waited for her sisters. They crowded at the top of Half-Blood Hill, watching the dying tree. There was an undeniable tension in the group–people coalesced together and whispered in hushed tones. It wasn't loud or joyous, like Val had come to understand camp was.

Mia and Val stood at the edge of the throng of people, just at the edge of the fading barrier. They were the first to see the approaching taxi. They were also the first to see a bedraggled Clarisse exit the vehicle, throw a wad of cash at the driver and begin sprinting up the hill, carrying what looked like a shimmering shawl over one shoulder.

"She's got the Fleece," Mia breathed out. She liked to pretend to resent the daughter of Ares because of their parents' rivalries, but Val could tell she admired the tenacity. Besides, Mia helped out with most of the Ares cabin's weapons. It was almost natural to be a bit jealous of their ability to use the weapons, not just make them. "She's done it."

"Where are the others?" Valentina muttered.

Then, in the distance, a shape began to grow. It continued to approach, until Val could discern between individual centaurs and blurry shapes that must've been riders.

They passed Clarisses taxi–the driver didn't even spare them a glance–and galloped straight up the hill, appearing before Cal in seconds.

She started up at Chiron, who carried Percy on his back. For a moment, Percy looked elated. Then his gaze fell on Valentina.