Momento Mori

This human wasn't like the rest of the household. He was peculiar, which was the only word she could describe him as. They called him Martinez, but he seemed to be somewhat upset by the name.

“The Dalby Spook” was what she was called. She was named by the last place she lived. Behind glass, where other humans would marvel at her. She had a home, where people in the same clothes came in, fed her, and took care of her.

She lived in luxury for years. Many years, which made her friends concerned why she simply wasn't growing old like the mongoose next door.

The mongoose in the room next door to her had disappeared before her, but the people who lived at the zoo were the ones to take him away. He had grown white in the face and he was no longer as fast. Eventually, he no longer played from behind the glass. One day, he took a really long nap, and she never saw him again.

She missed her friend, but eventually, another mongoose came to play. Someone just as playful as her, and looked extremely similar. A little smaller, but didn't have the paws like she did. Soon she realized that her new friend didn't have a bushy tail either. He just wasn't like her, and it puzzled her. The one puzzle given that she couldn't solve.

Unlike the other mongoose, someone had come for her. It wasn't even a year ago, yet a bunch of people had come in. At first, she spotted the people walking from behind the glass, where all the other people were. When everyone left during the day they must have stuck around. The other mongoose seemed spooked by the people, even though they were in her room.

They had found a way inside her room and tore up everything. Plants were tossed around, her tunnels were dug up. All of the hard work she put into setting up her room was now gone. When they had found her she could remember anything other than a box. Too much distraught clouded the mind of any memory.

It was the longest she was without food. There was nothing but darkness and the smell of wood soaked in mold. They had water, but it just simply tasted different than home water.

A man had eventually ripped the box open. A man bigger than any other she's ever seen. While normal humans towered over her, this one was different. Their hands were big enough to hold her in a palm.

She stared at the man with confusion for a while. Their face was odd, and in fact, they didn't have one. It was just scars that covered his face. The smell of thousands of people leaked from his pores.

Her eyes darted around from the man. The air was a lot cooler than in her room, and there was no light, other than the dots that lived above, and a weird crescent in the sky. The air moved and sucked the warmth from under her thin fur.

“Dalby Spook.” The man spoke softly to her, which caught her attention. She stared at him as she sat in his palms patiently. There were no words she could make out. He was speaking, yet she couldn't make out a word he said. He seemed to catch on, despite having no way to tell if he really did.

The giant hand of his reached out to her. His hands ran from the top of her back and down to her shoulders, before coming back up to her head again. She never felt the need to defend herself, yet this was an exception.

She snapped, grabbing his finger with her teeth. He paused, letting her try to tear off a piece of flesh. Abruptly she disappeared, almost being sucked into his hand. It was her own doing, and if she was getting nowhere with her nibbles, then she would control him from the inside.

Everything the man heard now became hers to listen to. There was no vision for her to look through. Nothing, not even darkness like if eyes were closed. The clothes he wore and the oxygen mask became hers to observe.

The man suddenly became loud. Extremely loud. Thousands of people screamed in her ears. Most screamed for her escape, and others screeched in pain. It sounded like a massacre, pure carnage. She had never heard this many people shrieking together.