You're At The Party

It was covered head to toe in practically glow. Streamers, balloons, and other decorations covered every inch, yet they weren't as vibrant as Charlie recalled. They had dimmed from the morning and were no longer shining.

She stood at the window as part of her periodic check for the streets below. The streets were empty, and the party room mimicked it. No one has come yet, and part of her told her no one will.

Everyone was wary of her, although they tried being nice. They just didn't want to be too close. The only girl who gave her the time of day ran for the hills once other students had a 'talk' with her.

Charlie hated how much people valued their quirks. It always baffled her when people valued their quirks over her. All she wanted was to hug a friend without fear.

She was gifted with a difficult quirk. Her sweat, tears, blood, spit, and almost anything could be used to erase quirks. It wasn't as simple as touching her, they had to ingest it or get it in their body somehow. It was nearly impossible for her to turn them quirkless from hugging her.

"Charlie…" Her mom, Margaret Irving came from behind and placed a hand in her long orange hair, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright… I kind of expected this" She placed her head on the windowsill and watched as the birds pecked at their neighbor's bird feeder.

"Do you want to open presents now, rather than later?" Mrs.Irving smiled softly. Charlie's head perked up quickly as she whipped her head around.

"Really?" She stayed suspicious of her mom. She stared up at her face, which was decorated with long red hair and blueish-gray eyes.

"Yes, really." She grabbed her arm and coaxed away from the window. Charlie's orange eyes lightened up and a glowing grin. Her mom held an arm across her head, "I know you've been asking for a particular hobby, so I gave in."

"What is it?" Charlie idiotically asked, even though she had an idea of what the gift was.

"I'm not saying!" She playfully scoffed.

Mrs.Irving sat her down on the floor with a simple command of 'Stay'. She rummaged through the closet next to her, digging in other presents that filled the closet. She couldn't believe her eyes when the whole wall was covered in colorful wrapping paper. It seemed to be professionally wrapped as well as if they had made someone do so.

She had let out a small woah at the height of the wall. It was the first time she was 'spoiled' with a treat other than a new stuffed animal or something simple.

"Need help?" James Irving jumped to her rescue. She was practically juggling the boxes over her head.

"Thank you, sweetie." She smiled with excitement once the boxes were removed from her hands. She pulled out a big box hidden in the back that held weight. It took effort to pull it, but when she did she had to place it against her hip.

One box in front of Charlie, then another much smaller box that was floppy. The Irvings smiled with glee as they stared down at the orange hair.

Charlie stared at all of it in confusion and bewilderment. A surplus of presents, and surely some would go to waste. She couldn't use all of them, and for once this wasn't a simple stuffie that could be stacked on her bed next to everyone else.

Maybe it was how only children got treated since she had officially been an only child for seven months. Or maybe it was the fact that the Irvings were no cheep-o. The house was absurdly large, and they paid people to come in and clean it for them. Although they had to leave for long periods to work at the hospital, they spent as much time as they could with her. When they weren't there, someone would be over to cook dinner for her, and eventually, her parents when they got home.

"Open it up…" Mrs.Irving beamed and leaned against Mr.Irving

She looked down cautiously at the paper, not sure where to start with the presents. Her throat became desert-like as her gaze went across the paper before she peeled the tape from one end. She was careful not to rip the paper, since it could be used again for another occasion.

"You can rip the paper." Mr.Irving crouched down and turned the present upright so it was easier to take out.

Charlie hesitantly started ripping the paper completely, revealing another cardboard box. She turned it to see the front of it, before stopping at the sight of the picture.

"What?" Her eyes grew teary. She stared at it longer, gawking at the picture.

"You know what it is, right?" Mrs.Irving tilted her head with a warm grin.

"A computer…" She started to sniffle uncontrollably. This was something her thirteen, now fourteen-year-old mind couldn't comprehend. She expected a sewing kit at most since she had been sewing a lot more lately.

At school, she loved going to the computer room in the library. Her new love was computers, but to ask for a personal one was outrageous in her mind.

"How'd you know?" She begged, tears falling from her face. She hated being emotional, but no matter how much she wiped her face it wouldn't stop pouring down her cheeks.

"It's a secret." Mr.Irving said as he handed her the smaller box. Her hands carefully peeled the paper away but she couldn't see it through the watery wobble over her vision. Mr.Irving read it out "It's a how-to code book, so you can make games like you wanted to."

She held out her arms to Mr.Irvings and lunged forward, hugging him tightly and planting her face in his shirt. She wrapped her arms tightly around him and held on, unable to truly say thanks through all the snot.

"James sweetie, you're gonna break her." She came over to hug Charlie as well, and she adjusted to hug both of them at once. She was truly blessed with amazing people who wanted her as much as she wanted them. Gifted with a family, and one that loved her, unconditionally.

"Thank you." She sniffled into her family's clothes.