Chapter 1

The eve of the aptitude test was always fraught with nervous anticipation. After all, every sixteen year old had to make the decision of a lifetime. As my mom cut my hair, I was thinking about what my future will hold. Will I make the right choice? Will I regret my decision to leave this faction, or will I suffer by staying?

Society has been divided into four distinct factions, each valuing a particular virtue above all else. Everyone lives within the confines of towering walls, shielding them from the ruins of the world outside. The four factions were born from the aftermath of a nuclear war that left the world in shambles, and the existence of these factions is crucial to maintaining peace and order. These factions are Abnegation, Erudite, Dauntless, and Amity.

I am from Abnegation. We dedicate our lives to serving the community and putting the needs of others above our own. While our faction prides itself on its selflessness, there are always those who say that we aren't as selfless as we claim, and those would be the Erudite.

The Erudite are the know-it-alls, always believing knowledge is the key to progress. They value intellect over anything else, and will never let anyone stand in the way of knowledge.

Opposite of the Abnegation is Dauntless, the faction of bravery. They're fearless and are always seeking adventure and excitement. They are the police of our city, and they patrol the streets, guarding it against any threats from the outside.

The Amity faction cherishes peace and harmony. They choose to live a life of tranquility, and they produce most of the food for the city.

Without these four distinct factions, there would be war. This is evident because of the way the factionless live. The factionless are those who do not fit into any of these four categories. They troll the streets being homeless and with no purpose. The Abnegation always wants to help them by providing food and water, but the Erudite believes this is wasteful and that we should not be helping them.

My heart beat with excitement and nervousness. Standing before the mirror, I smoothed my drab Abnegation clothes against my petite body. The clothes were always a tangible reminder of the selflessness my family valued. They never wanted us to look like we were better than anyone else, including the factionless.

"Stop looking at yourself," my Mom quipped. She shut the cabinet with the mirror and began sweeping up my hair. I looked at my blonde locks of hair on the floor. There was a weight lifted from my slight shoulders, replaced by a newfound lightness. The aptitude test awaited, and with my hair a tangible symbol of change, I knew I was ready to embrace the uncertainty.

"Sorry," I said as I looked toward my shoes. We weren't supposed to be vain—it wasn't selfless.

"Now go grab your brother, you need to get to the aptitude test."

I left the room and went up the stairs to grab my brother, Ansel Elgort. I stopped in front of his door and stared at it for a moment.

"Ansel Elgort, mom wants to give you a haircut before the test. It's your turn!"

"Fine Beapiss, I'm coming." Ansel Elgort opened the door and I stepped back. His face looked straight out of a storybook. With a chiseled jawline that could rival ancient sculptures and a smile that could outshine the sun, he had a magnetic appeal to him, but to me, he was just my brother.

After my mother cut Ansel Elgort's hair, we both made our way to the test. We walked next to each other in slow unison. I could feel the questions hanging in the air between us, but we both chose to stay silent. There was a way he carried himself, a fluidity in his movements that was disconcerting.

"What faction do you think the test will show you?" I asked Ansel Elgort.

"You know I can't share that Beapiss," he replied, not taking his eyes off of the road in front of him.

The building was far away in the distance, and then it was right in front of me. I hadn't felt the true weight of anxiety until now. How am I supposed to choose who I am for the rest of my life? The air buzzed with a palpable energy, a mixture of apprehension and curiosity, as teenagers from all factions converged.