Chapter 4

As soon as the Choosing Ceremony ended, my Dauntless initiation began. As we ran out of the building, the Dauntless initiates began climbing the train tracks. Although I'd seen them do this a thousand times, it was hard to make myself do it. The Abnegation never took the trains.

After I pulled myself onto the train, I came face to face with another transfer. "Hey," I forced through gasping breaths.

"Hey, Nice to see another transfer on the train," she breathed. "I'm Zoe Kravitz"

"I'm...Piss," I laugh. Now that I was in a new faction, I didn't have to go by my old name. I never liked Beapiss anyways, it was too matronly. Piss felt much better.

"Nice to meet you, Piss"

"Likewise," I laughed, looking out the window. Before I knew it, we arrived at the Dauntless compound.

Everyone started to jump off the train and onto the tops of the nearby buildings. I stared in awe. Before I knew it, Zoe Kravitz was grabbing my hand and pulling me to the edge of the train car.

"It's now or never Piss!"

After landing on the roof, I came face to face with Ick. The whispers about Ick, the formidable Dauntless leader, had always sent shivers down the small of my back. His gaze felt like a piercing examination, almost like he could see under my clothes. I made eye contact with him and he smirked so I dropped my eyes. His demeanor was devoid of warmth and leniency.

"Welcome Dauntless initiates. As you have probably heard, our initiation process starts now. As the protectors of this city, we need to be strong. Dauntless expects excellence out of each and everyone of you." No one uttered a peep. Ick commanded quiet around him. His eyes met mine again and I grew uneasy. "You chose us. And now we choose you."

"You're gonna cut some of us?" Zoe Kravits piped up. Her Candor was shining through.

Ick shrugged. "New rules, I guess. And if you have a problem with that, you can leave." I thought of the factionless. That couldn't be me. I needed a place here and would do anything to secure one.

"Our first task," Ick started, "Is a good old fashioned jump off the ledge" He made his way to the edge of the building and peered over the ledge. "Who wants to go first?" He gazed at the crowd, searching the uneasy recruits for a taker.

Without thinking, I raised my hand and stepped towards the ledge. The group was draped in an eerie silence as I stood on the edge of the chasm, a pit gaping wide before me, swallowing the darkness. Below lay the unknown—a black expanse that stretched into the depths. I knew what I was about to do was forbidden, dangerous, but the call to leap was irresistible.

With a racing heart, I took a deep breath and launched myself. The wind rushed past, whipping strands of my hair as I propelled myself forward. The edge neared, the ground beneath me disappeared, and I was falling, hurtling into the abyss.
The impact never came. Instead, I felt a sudden jolt, and then I was caught, safe in strong arms that encircled me. My heart thundered as I realized I wasn't plummeting but had been caught mid-fall.
As I opened my eyes, I found myself face to face with a pair of striking brown eyes—eyes that looked vaguely familiar. "Who are you?" I asked.
"I'm Whore. A Stiff for the first jumper?" he replied, his voice a low rumble tinged with curiosity.
I nodded, feeling a rush of adrenaline coursing through me, my mind still reeling from the unexpected catch.
"You're brave," Whore remarked, his eyes studying me with a depth that stirred something within me. He helped me to my feet, his touch lingering for a moment longer than necessary, before he stepped back, a faint smile playing on his lips.
He had a massive boner that had bust his way through his black jeans. I was staring at it because I had never seen one so big. Well, I had, but it was my teacher in middle school so it felt weird to notice.
"I see you staring at it. Its name is Stinky Delicious if you are interested.
"I'm not" I said, "I honestly am more focused on securing my place here."

"That's fair, but let me know if you change your mind." he laughed.

As I pushed past him, his penis caught on my skinny bird legs and tripped me. When he bent over to help me, it slapped me in the face. I could smell its weird odor. It was like shit, but also Axe body spray. I oddly loved it.

"Oops, sorry. It has a mind of its own"

"It's okay - I don't mind."

We stood there for a moment and his eyes lingered on my face.

"I never caught your name"

"Piss."

"Okay Piss, welcome to Dauntless"