VI

Three years later...

After a day of hard work in the camp sewers, we were taken to the Mess Hall for dinner. We had been drinking dirty water for months because of a broken sewer pipe drain, and all of us worked tirelessly for weeks trying to fix it. That would probably be our first meal with clean water after a very long time.

I waited in line to be served dinner and finally, as I hoped, the water was clear. 

We had not been served breakfast that morning, so we were all hungry. We sat down at our assigned table, and I devoured my tasteless potatoes in record time, enjoying every last drop from my water bottle. The murmurs and giggles around me --everyone was happy about the water-- were brutally interrupted by the shout of a soldier, ordering us to be quiet. Claire rolled her eyes and we all risked a smirk. As always, after all.

I lifted my head and noticed how full the Mess Hall was that evening. It was so strange to see so many kids again; so many yellow, blue, and green uniforms, but no red or orange ones. 

The month before, Oranges and Reds were taken away from the camp in the middle of the night. No one told us what exactly happened to them, but we all knew. We thought of all the fires caused by the Reds, the 'suicides' of several soldiers placed under the influence of the Oranges, and it was clear to everyone that the PSFs had taken them out to get rid of them.

I am sure that all the other Yellows had also, even for just a second, been afraid of that happening to us. We knew we were seen as a problem by everyone, even the other kids. Whenever we caused an accident, the White Noise --that's what the noise that had shattered my eardrums was called-- would be played all over the camp, so everyone would resent our punishment. 

Although most of the Yellows had learned to control their abilities, including me, it would have been easier for everyone if we just disappeared like the Reds and Oranges. That fear had been keeping me awake for weeks, and the realization came back to me at that moment, when I saw the Mess Hall full again after weeks. 

They got rid of the others to make room for the new Greens and Blues, and they would soon do the same with us, I was sure. 

Just as we had occupied the empty cabins that had previously belonged to the most dangerous ones, soon Greens and Blues would occupy ours. I just wondered when.

We returned to our cabin escorted by Owens and other two female soldiers. It was the first time she was assigned to us since the beginning of the monthly rotations. She seemed to be kinder than the others, more human. She was even careful not to cuff our ankles and wrists too tight. Something about her manners was weird that evening. And I knew something was off.

She opened the door to cabin number four and we all walked inside in a line after Owens freed us from the handcuffs. That shack had belonged to a group of Reds.  We could still see the remains of a fire on the left wall, which probably occurred the night they were all taken away. 

I still remember the thick layer of smoke and ash that filled the air the morning after, when they moved us from our old cabin to the new one.

I lay down on my bed and sighed, bringing a hand to my forehead, finally feeling it cool. About four days earlier I had caught a flu so bad I even ended up in the infirmary for a solid three days. It was Claire who convinced me to go after she saw me throw up my entire lunch in the garden. Fortunately, I got better quickly and without needing too much medication, so I was able to return to the others with just some light symptoms. 

Claire was so happy to see me again the day I came back. For three long years, she had always taken care of everyone around her. She was the only one I risked bonding with. 

She had cared for me, the nine girls who came after me, and all the ones who came before. She listened to us and defended us whenever we needed it. She was like a mother figure to me and the others.

...

In the middle of my sleep, I was woken up by the door slamming against the wooden wall. I and all the others instinctively got up from our beds and quickly put on the top of our uniforms and shoes, taking them from under our beds. I --and surely all the others as well-- thought that the camp's alarm had not rung for some reason and that it was just going to be yet another normal work day.

I knew I was wrong when, once outside the cabin, I realized it was still nighttime and all the other cabins were still fully loaded. Only we and the other Yellows were outside. Claire, first in the line, turned around with one of her looks on her face. It was her silent way of saying "What the hell?".

All the groups were escorted toward the gate, despite not having been assigned to the garden, and I knew immediately.

It was our turn this time.