Chapter 1 - October 2010

"Elsa, it's time to go! Hurry up for once will you?" 

I hear my mum shouting from the kitchen. She has a way of making every bone in my body chill every time she screams my name, knowing she'll want me to do something for her. Today was no exeption. I took one last look in the mirror. My long, brown hair was for once perfectly straight, and my mascara had not been smudged. Yet.

"Elsa come on, we can't be late again!"

" I'm coming!" I yelled with an angry voice. 

I couldn't help being rude to her, not today. We were off to see my twin brother in the hospital. He had been sick for the last couple of years with long progressed lung cancer. According to the doctors, there was not much more they could do, and one of them actually wanted us to stop the chemo and prepare to take him home so he could pass away there instead. My mum refused of course and is now taking every action she can to get that doctor fired "for refusing to help her son".

I slowly made my way downstairs, dreading to go back to the hospital. Those white walls, that smell, the people, everything about that place made me think of the sick Daniel. I only wanted to be reminded of the well Daniel, by best friend and the only thing I ever needed in life. 

I understand that seeing any family member with tubes and all kinds of weird equipment connected to them is absolutely terrible, but seeing the mirror image of yourself laying there is not even possible to describe. I shut the image of Daniel laying in that bed out and focused on my mum instead. She was wearing a navy blue cardigan with a khaki skirt, and her hair was absolutely perfect as always. She looked at me with a condescending smile that I'm guessing meant "Are you really wearing that?". I knew that Daniel couldn't care less about what I was wearing, so I took the car keys off the kitchen counter and marched through the front door. My mum hurried up behind me and got in to the drivers seat, and we began the half an hour drive. 

We sat in the car quietly the whole time, only listening to the radio on a low volume since my mother apparently "couldn't stand that horrible noise". With only about 5 minutes left, I broke the silence.

"Is dad meeting us there or what?"

My mum stiffened and answered with a short tone,

"No, he was there yesterday according to his update on that website."

"You mean Facebook?" 

"Yes, that blue thing. Apparently that Anne-person was there with him. I cannot believe he is letting her near my children." 

Daniel's illness had been too much for my parents relationship and they got a divorce a few months after the cancer had come and ruined all of our lives. Dad found new love in Anne not too long ago, a sweet woman who had also been divorced for a few years. If I had the choice, I would have gone and lived with them, but my dad refused to let me leave mum now when Daniel had been hospitalized permanently. 

"I like Anne." I stated, earning a sour pout from my mother.

A few moments later, we had arrived at my, to be honest, personal hell. I hated it so much, and a part of me couldn't wait to exit those doors for the very last time.

We arrived at Daniel's room and I could see him in there through the glass window. He was playing FIFA, his favourite game that I broke for him in frustration that one time he walked in on me kissing my first boyfriend. I bought him a new one of course, but he was angry with me for a very long time afterwards. I knocked on the glass to then quickly slide down behind the wall, knowing he looked like an idiot looking for whoever disturbed his game. 

"Stop with that nonsense Elsa." My mum interrupted me and went through the door. I could hear her saying "Daniel darling, how are you feeling?" through the now open door. I sighed, knowing that it was the worst question you could ever ask Daniel, but she kept on asking every single visit. I, on the other hand, had another way of greeting my, by 7 minutes, older brother. I ran through the door and jumped in the bed with him, not really caring about all the really expensive medical items I could be breaking.

"Whoooah, slow down there buddy!" Daniel laughed and gave me a huge hug. He looked surprisingly well today, and it was refreshing seeing him this sharp.

"How's the game going?" I asked while my mother tried to fix all the cords and weird things that got wripped out from their computers when I preformed my stunt. 

"Not very well thanks, I'm loosing to bloody West Ham." He said while is brown eyes eagarly followed the ball on the screen. He used to have brown hair exactly like me, but that was all gone after two years of treatment.

After a few more minutes of sighing and a couple of screams directed at the referee, he put the control down and started talking to us about his last few days. He told mum every detail about dad and Annes visit, and she didn't seem to be any more pleased than she was before.

"Hey Elsa, do you know what?" Daniel then said. I shook my head. "That new boyband from The X-Factor you know, direction something?"

"One Direction?" I hadn't been watching the show, but I knew a few friends of mine had been going completely mental over them for the last couple of weeks.

"Yeah, them. They're coming here today to visit sick kids like me, if you want to stick around. They're doing some kind of charity to show themselves off as "nice people" you know, could be funny to watch."

"Well, I guess I could stick around if mum doesn't mind?" I looked over to my mother.

"That's actually perfect for me, because I have a reservation to get my nails done in about twenty minutes."

I sighed, this was so typical her.

"Good, then I'll stay around."

As my mum got up to leave, Daniel and I started up a new game.

We played for a while before there was a knock on the door.

"Come on in!" Daniel shouted. A lot of people walked in, instantly filling up the small space that was Daniel's room, followed by five teenage boys and a camera crew.

"Hi Daniel, we're One Direction." One of the boys with brown hair said. They then made it through the room to properly greet us one by one. There were too many names for me to remember, as it often is when you say hello to a lot of people, but one name stuck in my mind.

Harry.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi you guys! I'm sorry about this first chapter, it will get better, I promise! I would be so happy if you voted and commented, I want to know what you think.

Love

P.S, I imagine Elsa like Nina Dobrev, D.S