Chapter 0

It smells of wet concrete and rain. Those were always my favorite scents. It smells of woodland, meadows, and wind. I wish that I could open my eyes.

Why can't I open my eyes?

🌲🌿🪵

I reached my hands up to my face, and opened my eyelids. Finally, I could see. Where was I? Let's see... I was in the middle of the woods, a stream nearby. I could hear nothing, but nothing was so loud. Nothing became so much so suddenly, it was almost overwhelming. Once I had gotten used to it, it was calming. The birds were singing, the wind was shaking the leaves of trees, the water from the stream was flowing. I could hear my steady breathing, and my heart beating. I could feel my chest slowly rising and falling with each inhale and exhale. My senses were heightened for miles. I was breathing the cleanest, finest oxygen. The wind refreshing any impurity in the air, my lungs felt cold and clean. I was finally at peace. It was the most calming thing I've ever experienced.

And it wasn't even real.

🕯🪞🥀

You see, as I dipped my hand into the perfectly clear stream, I came to realize I was dreaming. I had forgotten who I was, and what I was doing. I struggled to remember if I'd known anyone. It dawned on me that I didn't know what I looked like. People have appearances.

My eyes darted to the water, my eyes meeting my reflection. It definitely isn't what I was expecting. Purple hair and eyes? I didn't even know if that's what I really looked like, maybe reflections were a lie. Oh, I know that word. When I thought it, my chest vibrated and my ears rang. My stomach did a backflip and a somersault. Why did my brain respond to that word like that?

It took me too long to realize who I was, or so I thought. To me, it hadn't been more than an hour. To everyone else, four years had passed.

I wanted to see what would happen if I said that word out loud. I hadn't spoken since I opened my eyes.

It was startling at first, my voice being so new in the mix of sounds. It echoed slightly against the woods, bouncing off the clouds and returning to me. I said that word, once at first, but I repeated it. Each time I said it, the feeling got stronger.

Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie.

Lie, lie, lie, lie.

LIE.

I said it over and over, my lungs overwhelmed from the speed of my words. I said it one last time, realizing that it was pointless, I sat there for hours saying it, and nothing had happened. This time, as the sun was setting in the sky, it was barely a whisper against the orange and red hues.

lie.

My eyes grew tired, and my body weak. I figured it must be time to rest, being nearly dark. I laid against a tree, my back to the mossy trunk. Consciousness slipped my my fingers and my thoughts melted away from me like butter.
I drifted off to sleep with ease.

When I fell asleep, I woke. It was rather startling. The rush if it all was honestly painful. Memories, knowledge, and identity. It hit me like a train without a conductor, like an avalanche, a bullet to the head.

Not only was that painful, the bright light hurt my eyes, and my entire body ached. What happened to me? At an instant I knew who I was.

My name is Kokichi, and I was murdered, or so I thought.

Clearly I was alive, but I do remember being shot, more than once. I remember the pain, and the sleep.
I let out a long sigh of relief, startling the nurse in the far side of the room.

"Holy-"
The nurse's jaw dropped, and she ran up to me. I blankly stared at her, wondering what was so shocking.

"Okay, um.. do you remember who you are? What's your name?"

The nurse asked me an odd question, of course I knew who I was now. I was awake after all.

"My name is Kokichi Oma."
I shrugged my shoulders and realized I had movement and control over my body. I also remembered I had a body.
I let out a gasp and looked down at my body. I was small, but i wasn't all that bad looking, other than the ugly hospital attire.

"Good, good. I'll be back with a few more doctors.."

The nurse ran out of the room, yelling about something. Whatever it was, it was about me. I had a feeling I was asleep for a while. Actually, what day I it? I was probably out for a month at the most, but it was starting to worry me. I looked around the bare room for a calendar.

The room was dimly lit, a few lights placed unevenly across the ceiling. The floor was a plain tile, and there were a few tables here and there. On the left side of the room there was a window, and next to it a calendar. Oh! Calendar!

I had to squint my eyes to read it, but it said April. I think I remember being shot in March or February, so that wasn't too bad. I should be able to leave soon.

I looked around again, observing and making mental notes of things around the room. Realizing my back hurt, I sat up and stretched. I have never heard my back pop so much..it sounded like I lit a string of firecrackers. It also felt so good, so I realized I needed a serious stretch.

Stepping off the side of my bed, my feet met the cold floor. I groaned with each pop of my neck, knuckles, etc. I stepped around the room, uneasily walking. It was practice for whenever they let me out. It would be simply embarrassing to fall over my feet in public. I was in the middle of balancing on one foot when a few doctors stepped into the room and scolded me for being out of bed.

"So, what do you remember, Kokichi?"

Hi!! This is my prologue for the rewrite! Hehe!! I hope you liked it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

The next few chapters will be published by the end of this month, sorry I don't exactly have a schedule due to schoolwork.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts  and have a GREAT day!!!

🥀🕯🌲

Love, Ally.

Words: 1097