DIAN

I float through the streets of Genden and see people walking, flying or sitting along the streets. Suddenly I see a whole group of people on the market square. I fly there quietly because I'm way too curious what's going on. Would the demon king give a sermon or something else, or would someone be hanged on the gallows again, or would someone be sent to the darkest deepest dungeons of the demons wherever the king resides. I heard everyone screaming and roaring enthusiastically, and that only means one thing someone would be killed I now fly even faster to the place and can hardly believe my eyes who I see standing there on stage. I see several people standing in a row on stage, but at the back of the row is Gideon with a frightened look on his face. I look at him shocked, I really couldn't figure out why he was standing there. The people should choose who dies and who gets to live in the deepest darkest dungeons. Only if you're standing there must you have done something wrong, but I can't imagine what Gideon would have done wrong. I watched the look grow even more fearful as the demon king stopped right in front of Gideon. 'So this boy didn't do his job properly, he was going to find Adam and bring him back for questioning. But in the meantime he hadn't found him,' says Kilian. "I floated to the stage to defend Gideon, but I quickly retreated because I was too afraid that Kilian would kill me. "So I'll ask Gideon one more time, where's Adam?" I hear Kilian's voice break into loud screams. "Tell me, or would you rather wait for death?" I see Gideon looking back and forth in panic, but then opening his mouth to say something but nothing came out. 'Okay, you obviously really want to die,' says Kilian and I heard his voice get louder. The whole crowd of people started cheering and screaming. "Wait," says Gideon at once. "I know where Adam is!" shouts Gideon in panic. 'Where?' says Killian. "With a girl, in the city on the other side of the forest edge." says Gideon. I felt a pang of sadness well up in me. 'Why, oh why did Gideon betray Adam. I'd rather die than betray my friend. I floated away in panic, because I don't want to be here right now. I have to go to Adam right now.

I float swiftly to the gate, but the demons that keep watch but they hold me back. I look at them kindly, but I felt very scared. "Um, could I go over to the other side and pick berries?" I ask kindly. 'No, you have to stay at the village square. And you pick berries way too often.' I look at the demon but I dare not say anything to it. Where the demons stood was the only exit, because there is a magical wall around our country. You can only go through the gate to the other side of the magical land, But I have to go to Adam now. While Gideon is going to betray his own friend. Gideon does not keep the promise we made two years ago. We had promised each other that we would never tell each other to the demons where the other was when that person was wanted. But Gideon has now betrayed Adam. I think about that moment when we kept the promise. we had made a connection with each other. We had respected each other with honor, promising never to betray our friends. I float calmly to the place where everything happened, the abandoned church. I sit down in an empty spot in the deserted church, where we agreed on the promise, and I see the memories flashing in my head again.

(Two years ago)

I sat on the grass and see Adam and Gideon walking towards me. "Hi Dian, why are you sitting alone on the grass?" Gideon asks me. I didn't react because I didn't want to admit that I'm afraid, afraid of the future, afraid of what would happen if someone van Genden died. Diana, I have an idea. Shall we make a deal, keep a promise', says Adam. I look at Adam with wide eyes. "what kind of promise then?" I ask him. "May we never, ever betray our friends to the demons." I look at him and smile. 'Yes, but we would never do that,' Gideon says to us. "Yes, I know, but I think we have to do it in some way to make it official." I look at Adam and nod approvingly. I hardly dare say anything, because I have seen how people were tortured by the demons. But also how my mother took her last breath during the asked against the king. Hardly not the king of today but the king of the angels banished to the darkest deepest dungeons. My mother had looked death in her eyes then. I had watched my mother get stabbed and take her last breath.
"Hey Dian, what are you thinking about?" asks Adam. "Oh, nothing." I look at Adam and Gideon, and sighed deeply. I know myself that I could never tell them about my mother. "Shall we meet tonight around seven o'clock in an abandoned building?" Adam asks us. "Okay, I'll see you at seven in the evening. I'll come to the abandoned church then,' says Gideon. They all look at me and I nodded in agreement.

That evening I walk past the abandoned buildings in the land of Genden. I see abandoned buildings as a dark hole in the dark. But I also see abandoned buildings with lights on. I know that people live there who have no money to maintain the house. I see the abandoned church coming into view in the distance, and I walk towards the church. I can already see Adam waiting for me in front of the church. "So Dian, are you ready?" Adam asks me. 'I don't know', I say and I look around and see Adam looking at me curiously. 'Dian, I know...' but Adam was interrupted by Gideon walking out. 'Where are you staying?' I look at him and walk in. The first thing I smell in the stench of rats coming towards me. I hold my nose and keep walking. 'Why here, it stinks here', I say. "Because the demons can't find us here Dian," says Adam. "Well okay," I say and I see three large round white candles on the floor in the middle of the floor. I also see all kinds of pillows where Adam and Gideon take a seat. I also sit on one cushion and look at them. 
"Dian, let's begin." I nod in agreement and look at the wall. I see all the painted drawings on the wall. "Okay, let's start. I brought a knife to mix blood with our spirits," says Gideon. "I don't know if I can," I say uncertainly. 'Yes, you can too,' says Gideon firmly. "Okay," I say and Gideon starts by making a cut on both of his hands. I then see Adam take over the knife and cut his hands as well. I grab the knife last and start making a cut on my hands as well. "So we have to hold hands now," says Gideon. 'Is good.' I grabbed Gideon's hand and Adam's hand. "We swear on our graves that we will always be faithful to each other, not link each other to the demons and remain friends forever," says Gideon. "We swear on our grave that we will always be faithful to each other, not rat each other out to the demons and remain friends forever," we all say at the same time to repeat. "So our promise is now firm," says Gideon. "Yes," says Adam. I say nothing and get up and walk out of the church. I have to go home. To my friends where I live, other ghosts I live with.

(back in present)

I really have to go to Adam but I have to look at the death of other people first, I decide to sit here and wait until all people are dead. And that the demons might let me go. I get up and float pacing through the church back and forth thinking about Adam, about Gideon. I'm never going to forgive him, forget the promise of friendship and think about your own life, how selfish. Gideon now thinks only of himself, and not of anyone else. If I were standing there I'd rather die for Adam than go through life like a traitor. I would always be to blame then on my conscience. I would never forget the time I would go through. But I will also not forget what Gideon did to us, he will regret this. He's going to pay for this, but I don't know how.

I float to the main square and see all the bodies lying there, but Gideon's is not there. I hear footsteps getting closer and closer. I turned around and see Gideon with his head held high looking at me. 'So Gideon, where do you get the guts from', I say and once and again with my back to him, and stare at the dead bodies in front of me. "I had no choice or I would have been dead Dian. I think if you were in my shoes you would do the same.' I turned around in one quick movement, I can't control my anger anymore. "Gideon, we had a promise. I would die for the other one, because I love him, he is a friend of mine,' I say. "But Dian, understand, he betrayed us. He ran away from Genden, he deserves to die.' I look at Gideon with wide eyes. 'What, Adam didn't leave for nothing', I say and I turned around with one jerk and floated away in the air towards the gate.

'Could I please go to the other side for the last time, when I come back I promise never to ask again', I say. 'Nearly the last time, then, but come back. Otherwise you know what will happen, you will get the same death as your mother', Says the demon with a laugh. "Okay," I say and float through the gate to the edge of the woods and float into the woods on my way to Adam.