Chapter Eight ☆

"The past beats inside me like a second heart."

Nyxa

Nicholas Fury sat facing the door, conference table stretching across the room.
Nyxa entered and eyed him.

"So you'll do it?" He asked.

She took an indifferent breath. "You said the world needed me. I'm still working towards the same goal as I was in S.H.I.E.L.D. It's just a different setting."

Nick lifted his brows and shook his head. "Really? That what we're going with?"

She walked across the room and took the seat right by his, leaning her arms onto the table.
He looked straight into her eyes.

"Tell me, Nova. How long's it gonna be until you learn to take things because you want them?"

"I wouldn't hold my breath," She replied.

Their gazes moved to the window for a moment. The new Avengers facility was nice. Upstate New York was slightly different to what she was used to.
She noticed a scorched circle in the grass outside and heard Nicholas make an annoyed noise at the sight of it.
"Thor," He put simply. "Apparently Gods don't worry about grass where they're from."

"How much do they know about me?" Nyxa asked, moving on to more important topics and looking back at him now.

"Nothing. Thought I'd leave that up to you."

A nod. What was she getting herself into? "Still don't see why I have to stay here."

"It's just for the first four weeks." Nick was rested against his chair, looking all too satisfied to be having this conversation.
"You need to get a feel of everyone. All of you. You're a team now. Train... bond."

Nyxa inhaled deeply, letting her shadows recede like a tide. She mindlessly brought out the pack of Captain America trading cards she always carried around now, since 2012. The ones Phil had gifted her. She wanted to stay in her apartment, a place she was used to. It had been hers from the second she'd followed Nicholas to S.H.I.E.L.D. It was her refuge, her asylum... and she had to leave it to stay here.
She knew it was only four weeks, while the team worked through the initial trainings, but a part of her worried that she would end up being moved here entirely. That joining this team would make her lose her apartment, the life she'd finally gotten used to.

Her fingers flitted through the cards faster, until Nick's hand rested on her own, easing their movement and making her meet his gaze.

"He'd be happy you're doing this." Fury's gaze was earnest. "He always said the team was missing something- he thought it was you."

She gave a pointed sigh. "Oh, Phil told me so. Several times."

Giving her arm a squeeze, Nicholas let go and leant back. "You'll be fine. Those guys are glad to have you."

She eyed him once more. "I haven't been on a team I wasn't leading since I was a kid."
At the words, the man smiled. He looked greatly amused.

"Oh, I know. We have bets floating around. I personally have a stake in a few of them. Hill too."

"Great," She muttered.
Pushing back her chair and standing, Nyxa turned to the exit. "Team's meeting now, guess I have to make introductions."

"You pack your lunch?" Nicholas asked with a grin, trying hard not to laugh. "Don't be late- and play nice!"

Pathetic.
Rolling her eyes, she called over her shoulder, "Thanks, dad!" Her tone incredibly dry.

"No problem, kiddo! See you in four weeks!"