Chapter Ten ☆

"One single thread of gold tied me to you."

Nyxa

She didn't know how much time had passed as she held Wanda together in her arms. Her back was against the wall now and their bodies were on the floor, the brown-haired woman lying against her.
Nyxa could feel where the Sokovian's tears had dried against her skin. They'd slowed down and only occasionally would a new tear cross lazily onto her chest.

They were still surrounded in utter darkness which was probably the reason their current situation felt so comfortable. They'd known each other for two weeks and here Nyxa was holding a mourning Avenger as she cried and lay against her. She didn't mind, of course, but usually the person who'd been crying might start to feel awkward or embarrassed at having been so vulnerable in front of someone new.

But here in their own dark sphere, normal world problems and reactions seemed to fade away, having no place here- limited to the external world outside their wall of shadow.
"I don't know if I belong here," Wanda whispered. Nyxa had heard early on that when Wanda was emotional, her accent-- which Nyxa was starting to love the sound of-- was ten times more prominent.
She found herself growing scarily attracted to it.

"What do you mean?" Her own voice was a little bit scratchy as she spoke in a lower tone. That was another thing about her bubble of shadow. There was no need for loud words or big displays. Something about its darkness compelled you to speak softly and honestly.
She felt Wanda's breathing, rising and falling against her.
"When I first met the Avengers, I was with Ultron." Wanda adjusted her head to rest more comfortably against Nova. "I made them see things, pulled up nightmares from their minds."

Nyxa frowned as she imagined it. She thought that if someone had done that to her- made her see things from her life that she probably didn't want to... she'd likely be angry. Maybe even really angry.
But she felt no judgment. Afterall, what was done was done. It hadn't even been done to her.
And again, in their darkness there was only simplicity and honestly. Outside world judgements weren't let in either.

"They didn't trust us-- Pietro and I-- when we offered our help. They were angry."

Nyxa hummed. "You can't really blame them for that."

"I don't." The brunette went quiet for a second. "I don't think they are angry with me anymore, after we helped them."

"But?" Nyxa murmered.
She heard Wanda's soft intake of breath and had the strangest urge to tighten her arms around her at the sound.

"I think they might still be afraid of me." A red tendril of magic floated out before becoming an almost orb and dancing throughout Wanda's fingers. Nyxa watched it, entranced by it's colour and appearance. Surrounded by her shadows, the red seemed more vibrant than it had ever been, glowing brighter and more powerfully. It shone throughout the dark in a magical wisp.

Nyxa watched it for a bit longer. "There will always be someone who is afraid of you simply for having the gift you do." She let a tendril of her own shadow join Wanda's red one.
The two powers seemed to combine, swirling around each other as if they'd always done so.
Nyxa's black shadow tendril- which should've been blotched out against their shadowed backdrop was still there, the red wrapped so close around it that even against the rest of her shadows, the wisp was always in view. Never dimming or disappearing.
"You have no control over that. Their opinion isn't a reflection of you or your worth. And it's not your responsibility either."

"You make it sound easy," Wanda said after a while, smiling a little as she watched their tendrils of magic move with each other.

"It's not," Nyxa answered honestly. "Not in the beginning. But once you realize there's nothing you can do about it... it doesn't become hard anymore. It simply becomes part of who you are."