Chapter 7: The Bridge Between Us

Maya returned to the Cuttlefish Cabin late one evening with a briefcase. She was met by a very concerned Cuttlefish.

"Where were you?" he demanded. Maya shrugged. Cuttlefish eyed the briefcase. He pointed to it. "What is that?" Maya tossed it on a table and opened it.

"I snagged these from the Science And Tech lab in Octopolis," she replied, motioning to the three shooter weapons. "They've got a kill switch on 'em." Cuttlefish glared at her in shock, before noticing the magenta ink stains on her agent gear and hands.

"What did you do?!" he demanded.

"What had to be done." Emotionlessly, Maya shut the briefcase.

"Agent 4, you can't just solve this whole thing by splatting anything or anyone in your way-"

"Yes, I can, old man!" Maya snapped. "In fact, within the next year or so, we won't have an Octarian threat to be wary of! I'm saving all of Inklingkind!" She stormed off into the cabin, with Cuttlefish mournfully looking after her.

"I should've never made her an agent..."

A YEAR AND A HALF LATER

Thunder crashed and lightning flashed outside of the Inkopolis Square Ammo Knight location. This was a storm no one wanted to get caught in, especially if you were an oily Inkling. Autumn sighed as she looked out the window, bored.

"Looks like quite a downpour happening today, huh 'Rina?" Pearl asked her Octoling cohost on the news.

"Yeah, NO SHARKBAIT SQUIDLOCK!" Jewel yelled from the break room.

"I would NOT want to be caught in this storm," Marina replied to her Inkling news cohost. "Everyone please seek shelter if you haven't already, preferably someplace inside or at least with a roof."

"Stay safe y'all! Now back to our regular programming." Autumn got up to go join her roommates Jewel and Derek on the break room couch, where they had spent the prior night sleeping on after their encounter with genetically modified Octolings Monica, Alecs, and Kimberly at Shellendorf Institute.

"Whatcha watching?" asked the golden yellow Inkling as she sat on the couch.

"Shark Tank, apparently," Derek replied.

"Five investors, known as the Sharks, will invest in today's entrepreneurs' new inventions and products if they like what they see," said the TV show's narrator. The camera panned over to five sharks sitting in chairs, awaiting the first entrepreneur. Jewel took a sip from her soda can.

"I hate the rain," she said. Sheldon the horseshoe crab came in from the back storage room, carrying a load of bombs.

"Do you think your ancestors ever thought to develop some kind of defense against water, or did they crawl out of the sea and go, 'nah I'm never going back in there, it's not like my descendants will die instantly from sticking a finger in a glass of water in the future?'" he teased.

"I know you're exaggerating, but technically we don't die instantly from sticking a finger in a glass of water," Derek said over his shoulder as Sheldon set down the unarmed bombs. "We just very painfully lose that finger. And then die from the ink loss that inevitably comes with losing a body part and not getting it treated."

"Sheesh, why are you cephalopods basically the apex species of the planet if you're that fragile?" Sheldon asked.

"We're good at not doing things that'll kill us permanently," Jewel replied.