Chapter 3: The Struggle Begins

BANG!

Snaplight shot the gun in the air, and the challenge began.

Everyone started fighting each other to take flags from each other while using all of their abilities to do so. This created absolute pandemonium in Dave Manor, but to Snaplight, it looked like a fireworks show. He gleefully watched this unfold.
"Peeerrfect.."

Rookie, Spooky, and Dezda were all standing in a triangle form while in defensive stances, watching the fighting unfold.

"So, what's the plan?"
Dezda asked them.

"We need to stick together to ensure that we can all pass, right?"
Rookie said as he pulled a tree branch out of his backpack - which he planned to use as a weapon.

"...What's with the tree branch?"
Spooky asked.

"I already told you, Spooky!"
Rookie replied.
"In my backpack, I keep everything and anything that I can find. After all, anything can be useful if you think about it hard enough."

"...But howsa' tree branch gonna help you win?"
Spooky asked.

"You'll see."
Rookie said, smirking.

"Eh, whatever..."
Spooky said.

After that, he looked around and saw a few plants fighting each other for their flags.

"Oooh! Gullible people!"
Spooky went after them to try and get their flags - separating himself from Rookie and Dezda.

"Wh- Spooky! Come back!"
Dezda yelled, to no avail.

"Dangit! He wasn't listening.."
Rookie said, a bit frustrated.

"Okay, Dezda, here's another idea - the point of the game is to have our flags still when time is up, right?"

"R-Right - and that means we shouldn't have to worry about getting other people's flags?"
Dezda replied.

"Exactly!"

"So since it's just us, let's focus on protecting each other instead of trying to capture flags."
Rookie explained.

"That would work!"
Dezda said.

Suddenly, two plants ran at Rookie and Dezda.

"H-Here they come!"
Dezda explained.

One of these plants jumped into the air to try and hit Rookie from above. Rookie dodged to the side in order to avoid the attack. After the plant hit the ground, Rookie then lifted his tree branch above him and did a downward swing to hit the plant on the head, knocking it to the ground.

The second plant lunged from behind Rookie to try and grab Rookie's flag as he was vulnerable.

"H-Huh?!"
Rookie said, not being able to react to this quickly enough.

"LOOK OUT!"
Dezda kicked the second plant away from Rookie, knocking it into a nearby tree.

"Phew, that was a close one. Thanks, Dez."
Rookie said, smiling a bit.

"Heh, I guess that Tree Branch came in handy after all."
Dezda remarked.

Spooky was on his own, and at this point in the challenge, he had already stolen about 5 flags. He gleefully walked around as he now held 6 flags around his waist.
"Man, this game is so fun! I feel like I'm at a carnival!"
"I wonder if I get bonus points or whatever for having all these flags?"

Susie, the suspicious pink sunflower was in the distance - having two flags around her stem.
"Hmph..this is already proving to be too easy."

"Don't Jinx it though, Susie-"
Said her earpiece.