CHAPTER 17

Glossary

嬷嬷 mama – an older female servant

<氏 shi – maiden name, clan name; used to refer to the original surname after married in

丫头 yatou – usually referring to a servant girl; can also mean girl, latter usually used as a form of endearment

夫人 furen – legitimate wife; would be added to the surname of the household as a form of address; usage is similar to the English “Missus”

小姐 xiaojie – young miss; usually from a good family, but can be used to refer to any young girl

姨娘 yiniang – concubine, not the legitimate wife; added to the end of the maternal name to show their (lower) status compared to the wife

(TL Note: Barely managed to rush out a short chapter!)

Liu Han Yu kept looking at the three yatou behind Yun Qian Meng, seemingly hesitant to speak……

“Don’t worry, just speak your mind!” Watching her act so cautiously, Yun Qian Meng could only find it funny. Perhaps, if Shui’er hadn’t arbitrarily decided to bring them into Qi Luo Yuan back then, Liu Han Yu would likely still be having headaches over Yun Yan’s unwanted marriage; currently, her appearance was similar to a person avoiding theives and robbers!

Liu yiniang had originally wanted to let Yun Qian Meng dismiss her servants, but, seeing that she trusted her yatou so much, she swallowed her words back into her stomach and wore a flattering smile. Sitting down beside Yun Qian Meng, she softly said, “Da xiaojie, the situation over at Feng He Yuan seemed turmultuous for the past few days! Reportedly, the slightest mistakes by the servants at Su yiniang‘s side were met with heavy punishment!”

In the face of Liu Han Yu‘s fawning, Yun Qian Meng didn’t refuse to give her face. She held up a jasper tea cup, lifted the cover with a hand and, lips smiling, listened to her talk about Su Qing‘s circumstances!

“So what you’re saying, is that Su yiniang is unsatisfied with father’s punishment?” Gracefully taking a few sips, Yun Qian Meng gazed at the dark green tea as she lightly said, “Only, if yiniang has the free time to worry about others, you should spend your attention on father instead! This time only then father punished Su yiniang because she did something wrong! But she is still fathers favorite; if Liu yiniang doesn’t strengthen your position, then this hard-fought position will become hers again in the blink of an eye!”

Liu yiniang had wanted to continue talking about Su Qing, but Yun Qian Meng‘s reminder, was like an alarm knocking her awake!

Truly, Su Qing, although her maternal family was not even nearly as influential as the legitimate wife, Qu Ruo Li’s, had been showered with the most affection by Yun Xuan Zhi for the past decade. It could be seen that Su Qing really had a firm grip on Yun Xuan Zhi‘s heart!

Yet she, herself, had been so engrossed in happiness after gaining a little ground, that she had pushed these important facts to the back of her mind. If, in half a month, Su Qing regains her authority, she could only worry if she and Yun Yan had any good days left to live!