CHAPTER 47

狐媚子 humeizi – fox women, fox; a woman who seduces with her attractive looks

绿豆糕 lü dou gao – Mung Bean Cakes, Here’s a recipe.

楼 lou – building with multiple floors

堂哥 tangge – elder male cousin from father’s side; cousin brother

During dinnertime, the few yiniang all went to visit the old madam. Even Su Qing who had always considered everyone else beneath her had, with Wang mama‘s help, carefully come over to Bai Shun Tang!

However, compared to the others, Su Qing was quite late. Even the family head, Yun Xuan Zhi arrived five minutes earlier than her!

The old madam was a clever person. She didn’t say a word of disatisfaction and only drank tea while chatting with Yun Qian Meng, Yun Yi Heng, and the others. It was until Yun Xuan Zhi had stepped into the room when she finally put down her teacup and put away her smile, dully saying, “Su yiniang really knows the rules more and more! There isn’t a woman in charge in the fu, but you still won’t let other people take the responsibility!”

Su Qing knew that her late arrival had caused the old madam to be unhappy. But she was pregnant right now. Her bodily strength could not be compared to the other around her. So, she smiled and said, “laotaitai, don’t joke with nubi! It’s only that nubi is carrying laoye‘s flesh and blood. Naturally, nubi had to be careful, and couldn’t walk too vigorously. Because of that, nubi was a little later than the other yiniang. laotaitai, please don’t blame me!”

“Mother, this is the first day you’ve come back to the fu. We should talk about some happy things! Just a while ago, er’zi found a teacher for my nephews. He will be able to come tomorrow. This way, erdi can also be reassured!” Yun Xuan Zhi went forward to support the old madam, leading her to the dinner table while he speaking with a smile.

Sure enough, when the old madam heard that he was so caring towards Yun Xuan Mo’s children, her cold expression eased up slightly. She nodded and took a seat, temporarily letting go of Su Qing!

Yun Xuan Zhi knew that the old madam had never been pleased with Su Qing. Today, Su Qing was trying to throw away their previous biases by coming to pay respects, causing Yun Xuan Zhi to feel like a spotlight was pointing at his face. Hence, at the old madam’s nitpicking, Yun Xuan Zhi couldn’t obviously side with Su Qing. Instead, he used his actions to obscurely make his intentions known!

As the juniors sat down in succession, the old madam surveyed the surroundings. Unable to see Yun Ruo Xue‘s figure anywhere, a feeling of discontent couldn’t help but rise up in her heart. She held her ivory chopsticks unmovingly and shot a severe glare at Su Qing, asking, “Su yiniang, where is Ruo Xue? Qian Meng the di xiaojie came early to pay respects to me; yet she, a shu daughter has such a big ego! Don’t tell me that this old woman needs to go and invite her!”