Transformer Arm

Shiro had Kieth send out an emergency text to the group while they were on the way to the hospital. Keith's hands shook as he wrote out the message.

Keith: Lance is in the ICU, explosion in the robotics building on campus and it caught fire, Lance got trapped inside, and we're on the way to the hospital.

Hunk: Oh my god be in 5

Pidge: Matt and I thought we saw smoke, we'll there in 15

Allura: Coran is letting me leave early, be there in 10

Keith knew he would get fast responses, but seeing them actually come through gave him a sense of stability. He had to pull himself together.

Lance was still being treated by the time everyone had arrived. So the group took their seats, places to stand, or a block to pace. It was quiet between everyone for a bit.

"Oh! Did anyone call Lance's family?" It had just hit Allura to check.

"We haven't; They need to know what happened. Does anyone have any of their numbers?" Shiro looked around the group.

"I do. Mrs. McCain knows me, I'll go and call her," Hunk was already around the corner before anyone could say otherwise.

They knew this was hard on him, they all cared for Lance, but Hunk had been with him since childhood. That was an incomparable bond. Maybe the moment to breathe and talk to others who have a similar tie to Lance will help. Nothing changed by the time Hunk returned.

"They'll be here by tomorrow morning, she asked if Shiro and Keith would fill his medical papers until then since they accept partners."

"Of course. If there's anything else she needs let us know, we'll get it done," Hunk took back out his phone and sent Mrs. McClain exactly what Shiro said. He also moved his phone and had Shiro write down her number.

Shiro then moved to where Keith had finally sat down after an hour of pacing. He got in the seat next to him and rested his head next to Keith's.

"How are you holding up?" He whispered.

"I—I'm better than earlier but I won't be anywhere near okay until I can see Lance's chest fall and rise myself. When we last saw him it was nearly still," he turned and buried his head into Shiro's shoulder.

"We'll be right here to see that the moment he's out of treatment. I promise," Shiro wrapped his arms around Keith and slowly rubbed his arm.

Now to play the waiting game.

They were all losing, badly. There was nothing but an air of anxiety and grief shared between the group. No one could sit still for long. Everyone just let each other go back and forth as much as needed. Everyone turned their heads when someone came through the double doors, hoping they'd ask for Mr. McClain's family. It was getting late, and visitor hours ended in about an hour and a half. It had been 2 hours.

The doctor cut it close. A bit shy of the 3 hour mark, a doctor finally came through those double doors and called out for the family of Mr. McCain.

"That's us! Well, his two partners and close friends. His family will be here tomorrow."

"Hello, I'm Dr. Kova, one of the doctors treating Mr. McClain. Nice to meet you..." the doctor extended her hand.

"Shiro. It's nice to meet you."

"Keith," both shook her hand in turn. She took a deep breath before continuing, but the group could've sworn there wasn't any more air in the room.

"I want to state first and clearly that Mr. McClain is alive and doing well with his treatments," Simultaneously, everyone let go of the tension they had been holding. He was okay. The doctor continued,"Nonetheless, he did sustain some serious injuries. He had a good deal of smoke inhalation, cuts and bruises, and third-degree burns on the same leg that was fractured. Luckily, all of this is treatable, especially in a healthy boy like him. In the next half hour they'll move Mr.McClain into a room and a nurse will come out to take you there. Do you have any questions? I know this can be a lot to take in all at once."