8. Prince is Dead

(Age 10)

(Age 10)

Three Years...

It had been three years since the day Abhimanyu left to Rajasthan. He left without telling me anything. He left without a single word. He kept me waiting for him without any guarantee that I will ever see him again.

He called me his friends and his princess.

And yet he disappeared without a single word.

Why?

Shouldn't he have at least told me.
I kept waiting for him in the garden to play. To listen to that story he had promised to read the day before he left. I kept waiting for his soft and rare smiles.

He was my prince after all.

On the day they were going back to Jaipur.

Chandini aunty, Aadarsh Uncle and even Evara had come to bid farewell to us but he didn't come. I kept waiting for a glimpse of him. A glimpse of someone who I thought was my friend. But he never came.

Instead he sent a small glass bottle filled with folded paper stars. Of different colours. And all I could do was clutch onto the bottle and shed tears when no one saw.

I missed him.
I missed him so much.
I waited for the day he would come and explain why he left?

But, soon the days turned into weeks and weeks started turning into months. Months turned into years. And as the days passed.

I realised what I felt for Abhi was not friendship... Ishani called it a crush. So, I thought I had a crush on Abhi. That's why it hurt so much that he left.

I was complete. Yet it felt like something significant had been pulled out of my life. Something always felt missing since the day he left. And I knew that there was a part of my heart that had been taken by him.

My prince had been a little thief.
He had stolen a part of my heart.
And taken it back to Rajasthan as a souvenir.

On my eighth birthday... I had hoped that he would surprise me like he had done last time and found myself waiting for him in the garden.
He didn't come.

On my ninth birthday... I had hoped that he would be there at least this time. And I kept waiting for him in the garden.
He didn't come.

On my tenth birthday... I could not take it anymore and couldn't hope anymore. After my birthday party. I sat in the garden holding onto the bottle that he had left me.

"Three years ago... You left me with just this bottle. Are you ever coming back?"

I heard not a single answer to the question I had muttered. And finally a single tear left my eyes. And then another followed.