Mother and Child Reunion

It was a Monday in late June. Josh's mom was at work in the nursing home. Josh and I dropped in to visit her, and take her some food. We were visiting quietly at a table in the dining room when my mother walked in. I attempted to obscure my face with my hand.

"Oh, great. What's she doing here?"

"Who is that?" Josh asked.

"It's my mother."

She was looking for one of the residents. Helen approached her.

"Excuse me, can I help you?"

"Yes, I'm looking for..." I couldn't quite make out the name.

Helen replied, "He's gone to a medical appointment. I'm not sure what time he's due back."

"Okay, I'll return another time."

My mom turned to walk out.

Helen asked, "Aren't you Samantha Talmage, Amanda's mom?"

"You know my daughter?"

"She's my son Josh's fiancée."

My mom allowed a hint of emotion to show on her face.

"So is she living with you?"

"No, she lives with my nephew, and his wife, and son. Although, she does spend every-other weekend at our home."

"When you see her again, will you tell her I miss her?"

"Why don't you tell her yourself?"

"How do I contact her?" Helen pointed.

"She and Josh are sitting at that table."

Our moms walked over to the table together.

My mom said, "Hello, Amanda." I looked up at her.

"Hello, Mother." Josh put his arm around me.

He whispered, "Are you okay?" I nodded.

Helen said, "Well, this feels very awkward."

I asked, "How's my brother?"

"Fine, last I heard. He's spending the summer with an adventure group. This week, they're diving on the Great Barrier Reef."

"That sounds like him. How's Dad?" My question struck a nerve.

"Can we talk about it some other time?" It was obvious it was taking everything she had to remain stoic.

An alarm sounded, and Helen left in a hurry. Mom looked at her watch.

She said, "I have an appointment, so I need to go. It's been nice seeing you again, Amanda. And it was nice to meet you... Josh, was it?"

"That's right."

"Take good care of my daughter."

With that, she walked out.

When we walked out to Josh's pick-up, he opened the passenger door, and I climbed in. He leaned in and kissed me.

"How are you doing?" I shrugged.

As he was walking around to the driver's door, I slid into the middle. I was buckling my seat-belt as he climbed in. I put my head on his shoulder, and he patted me on the leg. As we pulled out onto the road, I started crying.

Three days later, Josh joined us for dinner at Elise's. He and Bret were planning to talk afterwards. We were just finishing dinner when Helen called Josh.

She told us, "Amanda's mom stopped by the nursing home today, to talk to me."
Josh asked, "What did she want?"

"That's mostly between Samantha and I. What you need to know is that she'll be joining us for dinner on Saturday afternoon, at our home."

When Helen told us, it upset me.

Josh asked, "Are you all right? Want to talk about it?"

"I need to talk to Mrs. Schwartz."

Josh grabbed my hand, and led me out to his pick-up.

When I knocked on the door, Mr. Schwartz opened it.

"Hello, Amanda. Is something troubling you?"

"My mother is trying to come back into my life." He invited us in. Mrs. Schwartz got up from the love seat, and hugged me.

"Amanda, isn't it good that your mom is trying to make contact?"

"Maybe. But the way my parents kicked me out of their party, then out of their home and lives, I'm not sure I want anything to do with her. I mean, what if she wants to take me away from Josh? What if she wants to drag me back into my old life?"

Mrs. Schwartz asked, "What would you say to her, if she tells you she just misses her daughter?" I started crying.

Josh told her, "We were visiting my mom at work the other day, and Amanda's mom walked in. It was a brief encounter, and extremely awkward."

Mrs. Schwartz asked, "Josh, what are your feelings about it?" He dodged the question.

"It upset Amanda. I couldn't read her mom, she was hiding her feelings well."

Mrs Schwartz asked, "Amanda, what is your biggest concern?"

"I no longer have anything in common with my parents. I feel like my mom was judging me, because I turned my back on the whole lifestyle of wealth and status. Part of me thinks I should feel guilty about adopting this new life."

Mrs. Schwartz said, "Amanda, when you and I first met, you said you were a mean girl. What was that word you used? Oh yes, starling. Amanda, you are one of the sweetest, nicest young women I have ever met. You've embraced a life of love, instead of the empty, shallow life of status. You have no need to feel guilty. On the contrary, you should feel proud. You've learned how to love other people. You've learned a lot about being a member of a functional family. Helen tells me you have some talent in the kitchen. You've learned how to do basic house-keeping. You've learned how to care for Paul. And through it all, you've changed for the better. You have a confidence you didn't have when we first met. You have patience, and you actually care about people other than yourself.

"Amanda, you need to be proud of yourself for all of your growth. Otto and I are watching you change from a scared, confused, insecure girl, into a strong, confident young woman. You're a wonderful friend, and we are blessed by knowing you. So, the next time you see your mom, just remember - you are becoming the woman you were created to be. Greet her with that same warm, confident smile you usually greet me with. Remember, she can't hurt you, and your gentle heart just may begin to melt hers."