Saving Rose

It was mid-afternoon, and I was still wandering around, looking for a new Pierce the Veil shirt. My old one had gotten a nasty red stain from last week's spaghetti. I was been walking from store to store, since there were a lot of cool places with band merchandise around. 

I needed the shirt for the Pierce the Veil concert tomorrow, which I was VERY excited for. That band had helped save my life. Get my act together, push away the depression. It woke me up. They made me feel like I wasn't alone. Well, I should probably tell you about myself now.

I guess I have a sort of tragic backstory. I currently live in a small apartment I've had for 2 years, since I turned 18, when I was kicked out of the orphanage. My parents died when I was 8, in a car accident. I came home to an empty house, and had a good idea what had happened when the police showed up with apologetic expressions. The social worker assigned to me sent me away from there, sold my family's home to put money into a new back account for when I grew up. I was passed on to a fostor home, which felt more like an empty building. Nobody cared about the lonely little girl. All they did was feed and provide necessities, no love involved.

That led to me growing up completely alone. My music was my only friend, along with books as soon as I learned to read well enough. I never really made any friends.

My name is Rose Ashton. I'm 20. I love music, obviously. I have plain blonde hair, dark green eyes, and a height of 5'3. And I still don't have many friends, admittedly.

I stopped in my tracks, taking a peek in the new coffee shop that just opened. It seemed very sleek and modern, but also pretty cute and cozy at the same time. It didn't look too expensive, so I opened the door and strolled up to the fancy wood counter. There weren't many people inside, since it was so nice outside this time of year. I didn't even have to wait in line. I glanced at the menu, deciding on a blueberry muffin and a small iced coffee. I handed her the correct amount of money, then looked back up at the menu. I could probably go the rest of my life only drinking iced coffee and still be happy. 

I snapped out of my thoughts when the woman at the counter handed me my order. I quickly thanked her then walked out, sipping my coffee and unwrapping my muffin. It looked fresh and tasty. The perfect midday snack. I took a giant bite as I closed the door, closing my eyes for a moment to savor the taste. Mmmm. The muffin was delicious.

I walked around aimlessly as I enjoyed my 'lunch,' taking my time. I wasn't doing anything else today, anyways. No use in just going home and being bored all day. I needed to stop watching so much television, too. 

After I had finished my drink and snack, I began to walk back towards the next shopping area, checking my phone for any messages. None. I took a left, choosing to go through the alley as a shortcut. It would save a lot of time.

All of a sudden, I was shoved against the wall. I dropped my empty cup, with the wrapper for the muffin inside of it.  A grimy hand slammed against my mouth, keeping me from screaming. I tried anyways, but the sound was completely muffled. No use. A disgusting looking man smirked in my face, causing my brain to panic. "Scream and I'll slit your pretty little throat," he said, grunting. His face was inches away from mine by the time he was finished talking. He took his hand off, then kissed me roughly. I squirmed, repulsed, and weakly pushed him a few steps back. I didn't really stand a chance fighting him. And I couldn't get to my phone, which was in my back pocket. 

I closed my mouth, after gulping air. He actually growled at me, and came forwards again. I tried to jerk my head away. He moved back, then slapped me. I fell to the ground, where he started to kick me. It felt like I was on fire everywhere he hit or kicked. I started screaming, then crying miserably. Finally, he let up, and I took that as an opportunity to crawl away. He ran towards me, and I ended up on the floor again. He resumed kicking me, so I curled up and started to scream some more, and to cry a little. Suddenly, the kicking stopped. Just like that, he was gone. I curled up into the fetal position and just lay there, too exhausted to do anything. Not even move. I'd go home when I woke up later. No one would notice me, since no one ever goes even near this alley. It was too late to call the police. 

All of a sudden, I felt arms around my waist. I started to scream again, but hands covered my mouth. These hands were different though. Was it someone else? Maybe a friend of my attacker?

Maybe there were two bad guys. I wouldn't try to fight, though. I couldn't. I was too weak.

Suddenly, I felt a warm hoodie or something being slipped over my head. My arms were guided into the sleeves, immediately warming me up.

"Shhhhhh, it's okay. We're here to help you. Shhh," someone said, then uncovered my mouth and lifted me up gently. I turned around, using what little energy I had, then gasped, which turned into a weak cough. Was I hallucinating or something? I had to be. Maybe he had drugged me. Maybe I should go to the hospital. But right now, I decided to believe what I was seeing. 

I had been rescued by Pierce the Veil. Quite literally, this time. None of them would hurt me. I was going to be okay, I thought, as the world faded into darkness.