Part 8: Atlas

'Daddy, I can't do it.' Juliet looked up at her father, her eyes bright with tears, wide with fear and anxiety.
'Sweetheart, its not that hard.' He looked down at his daughter who was holding a gun uncertainly in her small hands. 'You just have to pull the trigger.' Juliet looked at the man tied to the chair in front of her. He was blindfolded and she could sense his fear.
'Daddy...I don't like this." Juliet whispered. 'Don't make me do it.'
He sighed irritably, and she was worried that he was annoyed. Then he looked down at her, his eyes cold and angry.
'Juliet.' He said quietly. 'Would you kindly shoot the man in front of you?'
This time, Juliet obeyed. Whimpering slightly, she raised the gun in her small hands and pulled the trigger. Blood splattered onto the wall as the bullet ripped through his skull.
'Good girl.' Her father nodded, satisfied.
Juliet dropped the gun on the floor and began to cry.
* * *

It took Juliet a few seconds to realise it was her who was screaming. She was trembling violently as she slowly sat up from her hiding place under an old, rotting desk.
'Another memory...?' She murmured to herself, suddenly unsure of her quest. If Frank Fontaine was the kind of man to teach a four year old girl to use guns, was he really a good father at all? Yes she was told that he was dead, but even finding his grave would be enough for Juliet. If he had one, that is. She thought. All she wanted was to see him. One time.
She thought how Booker had murdered him, her only family, and suddenly she was burning with anger. She didn't care about what kind of father hers was.
She wanted to find out more about him.

Juliet was lost. She'd been walking for hours and her legs were aching. She looked around at her surroundings, seeing a high ceilinged room, with a long flight of stairs leading down to some kind of round submarine. Maybe this would take her to another part of Rapture? She descended down the flight of stairs, stumbling slightly. Juliet felt so clumsy due to lack of food and water. She'd seen half eaten pieces of food everywhere but she wasn't that desperate. As she reached the open door, she noticed a half eaten burrito on the seat. Ok, maybe she was desperate enough. It seemed to be inviting her, and even though she felt disgusted, her rumbling stomach reminded her that she would die if she didn't eat. Hesitantly, she picked it up and took a bite. As she did so she noticed a lever, obviously the control to take her to another level. She reached out and pulled it, and the door closed behind her. Her hunger was gone, replaced with a slight sickness. Juliet tossed the half eaten burrito onto the floor and sat down, waiting as she travelled deeper into Rapture. She decided to lie down, as the journey seemed to be taking a while.
Juliet was half asleep, when a crackling sound awoke her. It was coming from a radio on a shelf, and someone seemed to be trying to get in contact with her.
'Is anyone there?' the voice said urgently, 'hello?' the male voice seemed familiar, and Juliet jumped up and grabbed the radio off the shelf.
'Y-yes!' She said quickly. 'There is.'
'Ah! Good to hear another human voice!' He replied.
'Can you help me?' She blurted out. 'I'm lost, and I'm looking for someone but I don't know where to start..'
'Who are you looking for?' He asked. His accent was all too familiar to Juliet. It was at that point that she knew she had found who she was looking for.
I'm looking for a man named..' she hesitated, remembering how Booker had told her that Frank Fontaine was under the alias of an irish man. Maybe he still was. 'Atlas. His name's Atlas.'
'You're talking to him, sweetheart.' the way he spoke made her smile. Her father was alive!
'My name is Juliet.' she was so excited her words troubled to come out. 'I've been looking for you.'
There was a long silence.
'What's your last name?' He asked quietly.
Juliet smiled. 'My last name is Fontaine.'