Chapter 2

It was pretty clear to everyone who observed Vegas carefully and to Vegas himself that he was trying to be better for a while now. (6 months to be precise but people didn't need to know that).

There were times when Vegas would actually let go of people who'd fail to perform their task well, just because of another presence in the room whom Vegas was attracted to, a little too much at that. Vegas wouldn't mind killing someone if they asked him the reason for his fatal attraction towards Pete. He most certainly would take their life without blinking.

Because the truth was, Vegas didn't know either. And the mafia leader didn't like the idea of going speechless over a silly question.

There were things that kept Vegas up at night anyway.

Being the widely known 'ruthless' leader that he was, Vegas was accustomed to people looking at him with fear in their eyes, pain, panic, apology, and even lust (obviously lust). The problem was that Pete never looked at Vegas. Well, to be fair, Pete never really looked at anyone. The head bodyguard did the work he was appointed to do, handled his unit like the stud he seemed to be, spoke as little as needed, and minded his own business. Vegas usually couldn't sleep when he thought of those eyes.

If it was in Vegas's power, he would most certainly push the lovely bodyguard against the wall, hold his jaw in a hold as tight as the one Pete has on him, and make Pete look at Vegas. He would probably kiss the eyes that make him go crazy all the time. But the thing was, it wasn't in Vegas's power. No matter how much he tried to convince himself, Vegas couldn't feel it in him that he held power over the bodyguard, if only there was a power dynamic, Vegas felt that it was the other way around (although he'd never admit it to anyone).

It wasn't like Pete never maintained eye contact with anyone. He was a strong man who had a determined look on his face all the time and when met with disappointment, his glare could easily scare his unit to the point where they'd consider resigning rather than answering Pete why they failed. Pete most certainly knew how to maintain eye contact, how to send death glares, how to look at the enemy in the eye and know what they were thinking. The bodyguard's eyes worked fine.

It bothered Vegas that even though Pete met and saw Vegas now and again, the bodyguard never really looked at him. Pete's eyes were the ones that could hold so much in them if they wanted to. Vegas couldn't understand why didn't they want to. Whenever Pete looked at Vegas (if ever), his eyes showed no emotion whatsoever. Love? Hate? Fear? Agony? Lust? Fondness? Friendship? Anything?

To Vegas's dismay, there was nothing in them. Hell, they didn't even have a 'nothing' in them. It was just a vacuum. Those hazel-coloured eyes looked like they have had life sucked out of them. They were of a color that could brighten Vegas's whole world, but at the same time, they were colorless just the same.

Those eyes looked like they were running and hiding and never reaching anywhere but on second thoughts, they stood where they were, too tired to move, feel, or heal.

Oh, what Vegas would do to change that.

Destiny was kind to Vegas more than anyone would have thought it'd be. Vegas managed to see Pete, order him around like a little dog (all the while feeling all kinds of emotions topped with guilt), steal glances from the oblivious bodyguard, and even touch him if Pete didn't mind.

By touch, it actually meant grazing their fingertips while exchanging files, 'accidental' touches of their toes when Vegas would walk past Pete while the latter would be on duty, and touching Pete's shoulder to praise him for small things now and again (which Vegas won't even bother noticing if it was some other guard).

But Vegas wasn't satisfied. He wanted to touch Pete.

Any sane person would know that such a fondness for a bodyguard can easily catch someone's eye since much to Vegas's dismay, Pete wasn't his bodyguard. Vegas also knew that and only for this reason, the mafia leader had to stop himself from going too far.